Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the 5 mile drive today. Thought about Belton but with two popular ramps closed the marina ramp is a zoo. Three out of the last four times I was there someone was on the ramp working on a boat or a trailer was left in the water while they were running around testing. Meaning I have to beach in the mud and zebra shells. So passed this time. First cast was 9:10 and it was slick almost everywhere. I could tell right away that it was going to be a grind. Fished a long way without a bite. Started rotating through baits and caught one on a chatterbait. I thought here we go and fished that a long time without another hit. Put the senko in the lineup and caught one right away but again fished it a long time without another fish. Kept the rotation going and caught one on a 3.3 Longhorn Swim. And the beat goes on. Fished that a long time for nothing more. Wasn’t getting bumps or nips. Saw a couple feeds not too far away so pulled out the Fluke Jr. and caught one right away. They were single fish and I fished a while longer but gave that up. So up to now four fish on four different baits. Pulled the Ned out and caught the one in the photo right away. One other fish on the Ned. Only had six by lunch at 12:30. I think I had 11 rods on the deck by then. Guess I was spun out. The afternoon was still a grind. Caught a couple in a row on the 2.8 Keitech no paddle so forced myself to keep throwing that. Caught 11 more from 12:45 to 4:00 when I quit. Have to admit the fish ran small and most of my catch was Guadalupe Bass. The fish were just off today or I was. So clicked 17 in almost 7 hours. On a positive note, the grass heads I made are excellent. They come through that grass without grabbing any. Got a new fishing cap. For 30 years or more I've worn the same Bass Pro Shops midbill caps. Not because I’m in love with BPS but because of the longer bill. My eyes are very sensitive and like the extra shade. I’ve looked high and low for a Texas Longhorn cap with a longer bill but didn’t find one. So bought a plain cap and a Longhorn patch and my sometimes fishing partner put it on for me. She did a great job so I will no longer be wearing a BPS cap. Water was 68º in the morning and 70º when I left. No wake boats or jet skis 😉
Sky Cloud Blue Fisherman Body of water

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anyone's wondering, the iphone is for Mercury Vessel View. The motor was already wired for it and it's bluetooth. Shows all kinds of things. I keep it on a screen that shows RPM, Voltage output, Engine temp, Water pump pressure, and engine hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Longhorn, all kidding aside, I think you’re a helluva bass angler. I think you’re a little hard on yourself. Seventeen bass, in the middle of fall? That’s flat out catching ‘em.

My take on fall fishing is that the fish are scattered, big time. They are wandering around looking for whatever forage is left. The fact that you have eleven rods on the deck is not spun out. IMO, it shows you never gave up on finding a pattern and perhaps accepting the pattern that day was quite a bit of “junk fishing.” TFTR!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts