Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't like to go in North wind but not much choice this week. Have intentions to go to Belton sometime but hard to pass up a ramp that is 5.5 miles from my driveway :) Started fishing at 9:20...calm and bluebird. Started on a bank that still had some shade. Caught a fish on my first cast with a 2.8 Longhorn swim bait in Bluegill color on a 1/8 oz. ball head. Noticed a small feed on the lake side of the boat and threw to it and hooked up right away. Threw back and caught another. Stayed away from the bank and started fan casting and caught fish regularly. Threw to a feed when I saw one but most of the fish came just fishing the area. Saw big schools of shad on my fish finder but they were not up high. The feeds were not splashes but were just a little swirl of a fish feeding just below the surface. I caught 26 in that area before I stopped for lunch at noon. I also mixed in a nose hooked Zoom Fluke Jr and caught several on that. Caught a few more in that area after lunch but it had slowed down. The wind had picked up by then. Next area I caught several decent fish on the Fluke and a couple on the swim bait. The wind wouldn't let me fish the Fluke very long so had to fish the swim bait the rest of the day. I clicked 47 fish by the time I quit at 3:35. I know some will call this BS but that doesn't bother me. There were lots of 8"-10" fish in that count. I'd rather have a bite from an 8" fish than no bite. There were plenty of decent fish in the mix. If you've read my reports you know I tell it like it is. If I catch only catch one I report one. Last weekend I made 30 2.8 Bluegill swim baits and I used around twenty of them yesterday. The Bluegill color is old school that as far as I can tell has been discontinued by all lure companies for years. It is very light smoke with large black flake and small blue, gold, and green flake. Water was 79º-80º. I know a photo of a counter means nothing...people always ask how I keep count of my fish.
Insect Wood Arthropod Larva Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I nearly bought one of those counters yesterday. Academy had them for half price. I decided that since I never catch more than I can count on fingers and toes, I didn’t see the need for the honesty meter. Then I thought I might need one if I ever started crappie or sand bass fishing but still didn’t buy the counter.

I love the pic of your counter with the lures that did it. Great report. Glad you’re still on the barren ***** instead of taking a chance on Belton.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great report, glad you had an outstanding day. I am all out of the bluegill color little swim baits. Time to refresh. I have not tried the nose hooked fluke, cool rig. I will have to give a whirl.

- JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts