Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ninth day of fishing in 2023. Looked at the forecasts and decided I would go today. Don't want to fish in rain and crappy north wind. Goal was to catch a fish. I thought about not writing this report. I could never write a report that's not truthful. I decided to tell it like it was today. I don't think many people look at these reports except for the handful of us. I consider y'all friends so I'm sharing this. I realize some won't believe it. This past weekend I looked at a video on Tackle Warehouse on the free rig. It got me revved up. I am famous for getting revved up about some new technique and going all in. I have tried this rig before but not for very long. I rigged up a free rig as shown with a 1/4 oz. homemade weight bent in the middle for less snags in the rocks. First cast was around 10:30, actually forgot to look. Nothing on the first area that has been good recently. Wind was crappy enough to make fishing difficult. Next area caught a decent fish right away, then next cast in the same spot caught the fish in the photo. Caught another soon after. Fished a long way for no bites but found an area where I caught several fish. So fished until around 4:00 and caught one here and there and ended up clicking 17. I went back to one area twice and caught fish both times. Caught a good fish way back in a creek. I don't know if today was a fluke but I am going to have a free rig on my deck for a while. Caught a few on a free rigged flat worm. Water cooled to 56º.
Water Sky Fisherman Fish Jigging

Organism Scaled reptile Reptile Terrestrial animal Lizard

· Registered
57 Posts
My ninth day of fishing in 2023. Looked at the forecasts and decided I would go today. Don't want to fish in rain and crappy north wind. Goal was to catch a fish. I thought about not writing this report. I could never write a report that's not truthful. I decided to tell it like it was today. I don't think many people look at these reports except for the handful of us. I consider y'all friends so I'm sharing this. I realize some won't believe it. This past weekend I looked at a video on Tackle Warehouse on the free rig. It got me revved up. I am famous for getting revved up about some new technique and going all in. I have tried this rig before but not for very long. I rigged up a free rig as shown with a 1/4 oz. homemade weight bent in the middle for less snags in the rocks. First cast was around 10:30, actually forgot to look. Nothing on the first area that has been good recently. Wind was crappy enough to make fishing difficult. Next area caught a decent fish right away, then next cast in the same spot caught the fish in the photo. Caught another soon after. Fished a long way for no bites but found an area where I caught several fish. So fished until around 4:00 and caught one here and there and ended up clicking 17. I went back to one area twice and caught fish both times. Caught a good fish way back in a creek. I don't know if today was a fluke but I am going to have a free rig on my deck for a while. Caught a few on a free rigged flat worm. Water cooled to 56º.
View attachment 45912
View attachment 45913

· Registered
14 Posts
Always want to hear it like it is. I was thinking this was gonna be a "me on Decker last time report"...i.e. I sucked. Glad you got on em! Spent this week doing maintainence on the boat. Got er cleaned up and lubed at every area needed. Now gotta take my prop in to get it hammered out from good ol Decker. View attachment 45914
View attachment 45914
🤤 love bass cats

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Hell of a fish!

I'll have to dig through old photos from 1984-1990 when we hammered them there. 7+lbers on the old unreliable Deliars. Probably 8-9#. And we kept for the skillet. We probably helped GT become the Dead Sea. (We haven't kept any bass caught in decades)

We saw a bedding bass a couple of years ago that would have pushed over 13#. I caught the 4# male and my buddy hooked and lost the female. It was like a knife fight in a phone booth deal. This fish was bigger than the 12#s we have caught on Austin back in the day.

They are there, just few and far between..

· Registered
57 Posts
Dad gum Welder! That's a beast no matte what lake! I've never been or even seen G town lake, but I'm new to the area. All i've heard you guys call it is "the Dead Sea!" Still gotta at least try Lake Austin. Dropped off my prop yesterday to undo the "Decker". Two weeks...no boat. Yikes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts