Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this plagues plenty of us I'm sure and I have found a SIMPLE effecive method to spiff up your boat.... First off, when I bought my 1984 Stratos 355V, I purchased it from a man for $500.. It didn't have a motor on it, seats were toast, gel coat was eaten up, and carpet was WAY GONE! I looked into having it "re-gel-coated" and it was going to be $1000+.. THAT WAS MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE BOAT!!! However, the guy at the shop I went to made the mistake of telling me how they go about re-coating old boats... And I'm a DIY kinda guy! So in the end, $30 worth of materials, PLENTY OF ELBOW GREASE, and a weekend gave me these results!!!!

Boat1.jpg
Boat2.jpg

What he told me they use is "High Gloss ULTRA Clear Polyurethane".. So I purchased a quart @ ACE Hardware (more than enough it turned out)... If you do not get the CLEAR then it will have a yellowish tint when you are finished...

I got some laquer thinner and some VERY fine sandpaper.. Wiped, sanded, wet-sanded, and scrubbed the entire boat down.. Don't be shy about this step! I ran into a few impurities in mine, but it was too late for me.. Nothing bad enough to make me start all over anyway... Then get a PURDY <(brand) brush! GET A PURDY!!! It's a $13 brush.. But it will NOT leave brushmarks.. Unless you want to spend a weekend MASKING, then the brush method is well worth it... Don't be shy, it will take 10-15 minutes to get your technique down, but once you do, it shouldn't take you long to have it all buttoned up... Mine took about 3.5 hours (16' boat)...

The pics speak for themselves, and for a boat that is almost 30 years old, I'm VERY PLEASED with the outcome!!!

Material List:
1 - Quart High Gloss Ultra Clear Poly
1 - 3" Purdy Brush
1 - 1" Purdy (for the details)
1 - Gallon of Laquer Thinner
1 - package of red shop rags (they will be ruined and you will use them all)
1 - package of FINE sandpaper for getting the rough spots smoothed out
PLENTY OF PATIENCE
Weekend to devote to the process..

$30 somethin dollars for what I was quoted $1000+ to have done professionally.. I love my boat!! But I do not love it enough for a $1000+ clear coat job!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And of course as you can tell in the pics I also put new carpet in... That was $18 worth of indoor/outdoor carpet @ Home Depot... I think it matched perfectly!!!

·
Banned
816 Posts
Spray the paint in an environmentally-controlled paint booth. Typically, the type of paint used to cover gelcoat is a marine-rated urethane paint. The painting should be done when the temperature is between 70-80 degrees and the humidity is below 65 percent. Often a good paint job will involve several coats with sanding between coats.

Read more: How to Paint on Top of a Gelcoat | eHow.com How to Paint on Top of a Gelcoat | eHow.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did all 3 coats inside my dad's shop...
I waited until each coat was set-up before I started applying the latter coat..
Sunlight did not touch it AT ALL until all coats were applied and it was about 90% dry..
Then it sat in direct sunlight for an entire day to "cure" so that it would harden...
I ended up putting 3 coats on it with ZERO sanding in between...

I sanded and prepped so much (pre-application) that I was very happy with the 1st coat results... The 2nd & 3rd coats were more "piece of mind" if anything... Keep in mind this stuff is fairly thick, at least the brand I used was.. Not a single person would look at the boat and think I brushed it! For a $500 boat that is almost 30 years old! Yeah, I'll definitely brag a lil bit!! Is this an acceptable method on a 5 year old $40,000 Champion?? You be the judge! But like I said, I am tickled to death with the outcome, and I'm sure plenty of you guys would enjoy doing a project like this on your own boat if it too needs some TLC...

Reactions: bassn

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Nice.

2. How much for lessons.

3. Sup with the motor?

4. Welcome and great post.
1. Thanks!
2. I'd be happy to walk you through it! No $$$.. Just PM me if you would seriously like to take on the task!
3. I purchased an Evinrude 90... Been very happy with it! Awesome motor!!!
4. Thanks again...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot J.R.... It has been "water ready" for quite sometime.. I've just been putting a lil $$ into it here and there.. My next step is all new gauges.. Really leaning towards going digital.. Thought that would be pretty cool in an old boat! Looking into marine radio systems right now... I enjoy listening to music while I fish and my poor Iphone is barely getting the job done (pandora)...

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I think I have an extra sony marine radio, it plays cds and has an aux input jack for iphone, or whatever. It was in my boat and we thought it was bad so we replaced it. Turned out the wiring was bad and the radio was fine. So now I have two radios. I can dig it up if you are interested.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I have an extra sony marine radio, it plays cds and has an aux input jack for iphone, or whatever. It was in my boat and we thought it was bad so we replaced it. Turned out the wiring was bad and the radio was fine. So now I have two radios. I can dig it up if you are interested.
Sounds awesome! How much you looking to get for it???

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Boat looks great.

For anyone thinking about putting Polyurethane on thier boat, I would highly recommend you go to bassboatcentral.com and do your research first. I also recommend that you do not take your boat to whoever he took his boat too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boat looks great.

For anyone thinking about putting Polyurethane on thier boat, I would highly recommend you go to bassboatcentral.com and do your research first. I also recommend that you do not take your boat to whoever he took his boat too.
I understand the properties of Polyurethane.. While it may not last AS LONG or be AS DURABLE as the original Gel Coat, my understanding is that it will be more than sufficient if properly cared for.. Being that I only put out an initial $500 for this boat, I figured I certainly came out on top by using this method....

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Makes sense. Wipe it down with Bow to Stern (BTS) or BassBoatSaver (BBS) everytime you pull it out of the water and it will prolong the oxidation and fading and protect the clear coat. I believe they both have a UV protectant in them, at least I know that BBS does.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The one I have sells for like $120 brand new, but I would sell the used one for half price. $60 and it's yours.

I think it is this model....

Sony CDX M30 Radio / CD / MP3 player

1 - 15 of 15 Posts