Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Been looking hard at the Majek Redfish Line, thinking that is the direction I am going.
I would like to know how that boat would handle the bays with any wind. We fished mud island last week and while we were there the winds kicked up. It was quite a wild ride back across aransas bay.

·
Registered
410 Posts
the redfishline will handle the high winds it will just beat the chit out of you!! I love the redfishline myself I have fished out of the 18s and the 21s. they can go anywhere you want to go so shallow its scary. It is a perfect boat for the ULM where you can almost always find some shallow water to run in now if you were gona fish mostly in a big bay I would go with something else. Check out some of the Haynies they have come out with some nice cats over the past few years.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Yeah that is the trade-off. If you want to fish barrier islands, you can only do it on calm days in a flats boat. Bay boat can deal with rough water, but not going to be able to navigate real skinny water unless you know the area real well and get get in there on plane. Bay boat can get you close then can wade skinny water. Just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
410 Posts
it is def a great boat for fishing down there. I am looking for a 18 redfishline myself right now. I have a 90 etec that I need a hull for. Nice report on the reds chitown!! I love the way those reds will slam that spoon. my number one lure for reds is the gold spoon but copper is a close second. They will eat the gold, copper, silver, and even black spoons.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Yeah that is the trade-off. If you want to fish barrier islands, you can only do it on calm days in a flats boat. Bay boat can deal with rough water, but not going to be able to navigate real skinny water unless you know the area real well and get get in there on plane. Bay boat can get you close then can wade skinny water. Just depends on what you want.
The best compromise for both skinny running and ability to handle big bay chop comes with boats with high sharp V fronts and tunnel hulls. Examples include the Explorer TV/CTV and Mowdy type designs. Shallow Sports are great skinny but most will beat you up on chop, except for the newer V front 23 fters, which aren't as shallow. When I grow up, I'll get an Explorer 23 CTV with Yammy TRP reckon (yes, I should be happy with the JH, but the lack of tunnel hull is limiting at less than a foot depth).

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Thanks for the information Ro. I am always looking for my next boat. With emphasis on the "looking" part. :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I went from bass boat, to a bay boat, back to a bass boat, and am on the fence again. It's killing me. 3 months ago I was looking at bay boats, now I'm looking for another bass boat.
My 22' Blue Wave was an awesome boat and I routinely ran in 8-10 inches of water with it, plus took it 25mies off shore. If I didn't fish bass tourney's I would be back in one for sure, but they are not good bass fishing rigs for many reasons. My BlueWave did almost everything well, but nothing great. I tried fishing tourney's from it and it was tough for my style of fishing, and a nightmare for my partner with that damn console in the way.

Even deciding on a bay boat is hard. I've driven a 21' Redfish, and 21' Shallowsport with a Merc 250 Pro XS in 4 inches of water and just couldn't believe it. There was dry land behind the boat. Ubelievable where these boats go, but it sucked when we crossed the bay in it, although the ShallowSport was better.
I then looked at the 22' Majek Extreme, and the Haynie 24 HO and Z21 as these boats will run 75+ mph but lack seating. I love the Extreme. Finding a happy medium is the toughest part. I've been on the fence and looked at a 22' Blue Wave Pure Bay and a Skeeter ZX22 bay. Those are awesome looking boats. All I know, if I ever do get back in one, it will have a 4 stroke on it for sure. It was hard for me to believe that my buddies 24' Southshore with 250 Suzuki used 18 gallons when he followed me around all day in my 22' Blue Wave with Yamaha 150 EFI and I burned 45 gallons. However; even with his 250 he was no faster than me.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What boat would be good for a family of 5? My wife three boys and me I really like the look of that mako, we will be doing freshwater
Skeeter ZX22Bay or Blue Wave Pure bay 2200 for sure! Blue Wave will perform better than the Skeeter, but the Skeeter looks better IMO.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I went from bass boat, to a bay boat, back to a bass boat, and am on the fence again. It's killing me. 3 months ago I was looking at bay boats, now I'm looking for another bass boat.
My 22' Blue Wave was an awesome boat and I routinely ran in 8-10 inches of water with it, plus took it 25mies off shore. If I didn't fish bass tourney's I would be back in one for sure, but they are not good bass fishing rigs for many reasons. My BlueWave did almost everything well, but nothing great. I tried fishing tourney's from it and it was tough for my style of fishing, and a nightmare for my partner with that damn console in the way.

Even deciding on a bay boat is hard. I've driven a 21' Redfish, and 21' Shallowsport with a Merc 250 Pro XS in 4 inches of water and just couldn't believe it. There was dry land behind the boat. Ubelievable where these boats go, but it sucked when we crossed the bay in it, although the ShallowSport was better.
I then looked at the 22' Majek Extreme, and the Haynie 24 HO and Z21 as these boats will run 75+ mph but lack seating. I love the Extreme. Finding a happy medium is the toughest part. I've been on the fence and looked at a 22' Blue Wave Pure Bay and a Skeeter ZX22 bay. Those are awesome looking boats. All I know, if I ever do get back in one, it will have a 4 stroke on it for sure. It was hard for me to believe that my buddies 24' Southshore with 250 Suzuki used 18 gallons when he followed me around all day in my 22' Blue Wave with Yamaha 150 EFI and I burned 45 gallons. However; even with his 250 he was no faster than me.

for the price of one of the aforementioned boats, you could buy both a reasonably nice bass and a bay boat. That's what I did. Dilemma solved!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts