Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking around, shopping around, I wanna get a freshwater boat, but I also do some saltwater fishing. is there a boat that can combine the two basically, what are the pros/cons of bringing a freshwater boat on saltwater??

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Definitely get a saltwater boat if you want to fish both salt/fresh in one boat. Most freshwater boats come with non-corrosion resistant trailers, and the trailers will rust through in a year or two even if you rinse them down after each salt exposure. I learned this the hard way, and have had to replace my bassboat trailer with a galvanized one in the past. Also, many saltwater boats are made with non-rusting hardware like aluminum and stainless steel. This is what you want if you plan on ANY saltwater trips. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
All great boats. That Intercoastal looks interesting. Ranger$$$$$$$

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
We were cruising around in this rig all weekend. 23' custom made by a guy in Corpus. Took 2 years to build the boat, with the 250 suzuki on back, the power pole, TM and all, it was a fishing machine, could not have asked for a more perfect flats boat...now if I can just find the 70-80k laying around somewehre.

boat.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
JUSTLOVETOFISH,
If you are going to use the boat in both freash and salt water, it would be best to look at the Ranger Intercoastal, or a center console bay boat. I have fished off Bass boats and center console boats. If I were going to just fish Freashwater I would go with the Bass Boat. If I were fishing both no question I would go with the center console of the intercoastal. If you want either boat give us a shot.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so what should i look for in the boat package, i been looking at a carolina skiff, my grandpa has one, and he does mostly saltwater fishing, I like more freshwater fishing myself, but i know i will go saltwater fishing, just not as much, is carolina skiff more for saltwater??

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
so what should i look for in the boat package, i been looking at a carolina skiff, my grandpa has one, and he does mostly saltwater fishing, I like more freshwater fishing myself, but i know i will go saltwater fishing, just not as much, is carolina skiff more for saltwater??
Tis indeed

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx for the replies, I am gonna look into the intercoastal.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
I am in the market for a CC bay boat, plan on making the purchase early next year. As long as the boat has livewells and a trolling motor, it should be usable for most freshwater applications. I can bass fish out of a CC, I can't chase reds in a bass boat...or at least I shouldn't. Go with the bay boat, just my $0.02

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with Chitown. I had a bass boat for 12 yrs, did really enjoy it until I got a CC. Lot more room to move around in and much more versible. I have no problem fishing any of the lakes in the area> I can bass fish out of it just fine troll, chase whites or what have you and have the option of taking it to the coast.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Only downside to bass fishing in a bay boat is the wind will blow you around more. Harder to stay on a point, etc. You find yourseld achoring, tying off to something.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I am in the market for a CC bay boat, plan on making the purchase early next year. As long as the boat has livewells and a trolling motor, it should be usable for most freshwater applications. I can bass fish out of a CC, I can't chase reds in a bass boat...or at least I shouldn't. Go with the bay boat, just my $0.02
Trey your the 4th or 5th person I know wanting a used bayboat. Another main advantage of a CC is the fact you stand while you drive it allowing you to read the water and look for channels/hazzards, and also baitfish

1 - 20 of 45 Posts