Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wind was brutal but had quite the interesting and awesome day on LA today. Went with Lurp on the new TBT boat (so great) and put in at Quinlan at around 7. Headed north and fished the grass with little success, but the first interesting catch of the day was what appeared to be a hybrid striper. We didn't give it an extremely thorough examination put after a look we both agreed it was a small hybrid. We spent about 3 hours throwing plastics and spinnerbaits in the grass and only boated 2 fish. We decided to change things up and try and find some spawning fish. We worked in and out of creeks and their mouths with very little success. I think we totaled two small fish in the 4 or 5 creeks we fished. Did not see ANY beds or bedding bass. We after a few slow hours we decided to pick up our favorite bait, the old Shakey Head. We boated about 15 fish on the shaky head. Included in this 15 was a keeper spotted bass, several keeper largemouth and the fish that made my day...... a keeper smallie. I thought I had hooked up with a solid 4-5 pound fish but as it approached the boat I saw that oh so familiar bronze flash and realized I had 2 pounds of smallie on my line. It was a beautiful fish and was released for one of yall to enjoy.

We picked up Huntinallday after he got out of class and fished a different pattern throwing various plastics for a few hours, the 3 of us caught 8-10 more fish with a few keepers. Bobby broke off a monster :mad:, with that fish our sack would have looked pretty darn good. Best 5 went about 11 pounds or so. Didn't land the big one, but a lot of solid fish and overall a great trip. Reminded me of why I love that lake...a morning of frustration can turn into an afternoon of great fishing.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think their is supposed to be. They stocked them in Travis years ago and they hybridized with the guadalupes. This one looked like pure smallmouth though and that is coming from two Yankees haha.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Cool report! I wonder if that smallmouth survived a trip through Mansfield Dam? Maybe last year when they were releasing like crazy with multiple floodgates open? Guess if you're right in the middle of the flow and don't get smacked against the walls of those flood gates you could make it. Would be one helluva ride though!

·
Registered
399 Posts
372A252F2129252A440 said:
If it was a true smallmouth, congrats on the lake record. Should've turned it in though. ;)
Was a smallie for sure. Wow, didn't think of that...Looks like you would've been in the record books Trey. We should've called it in :eek:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.