Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey guys,

You are in fact correct! The FLW Regional event will be held on Lake Austin next year. The wiegh in will be at The University of Texas Campus. I have been in contact with Kevin Hunt the FLW tournament director and am working with him to hammer out all the details. I didnt have to try to hard to talk him into having the event on LA as it is well known for monster bass. I put in a great word about the Lake as I have had much success on it. More information to come and I will keep yall updated.

If you happen to see any of the team out on the water, feel free to stop by and say hello!

Take care,

Bobby Frey

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
That stinks, was atually lokoing forward to anotehr FLW event in Austin.

The last one was a blast.

I wonder if they went to address holding the T out of  City Park- they pretty much request any tournament out of there to have a min of 1 million dollars in coverage for liability purposes or else face a stiff fine etc... I guess if u get caught, who knows.

Oh well, at least LA was suggested  ;).

kp

·
Registered
195 Posts
What happened was....

The University is very incooperative. FLW wanted unrestricted use of the Texas trademark and UT wouldn't allow it. The also wanted to have the wiegh-in on campus during a football weekend, but they wouldnt have the space either. So basically, Texas doesnt care about anything but football and keeping their money.

Our fishing team is not even allowed to have sponsors on our jerseys because they cannot be affiliated with the University without proper royalties.

Anyways, there will be no tourney on LA after all... :(

I guess they will just keep LA as a secret...

·
Registered
343 Posts
033E253F22252A27272F2A327B7E4B0 said:
What happened was....

The University is very incooperative. FLW wanted unrestricted use of the Texas trademark and UT wouldn't allow it.  The also wanted to have the wiegh-in on campus during a football weekend, but they wouldnt have the space either.  So basically, Texas doesnt care about anything but football and keeping their money.

Our fishing team is not even allowed to have sponsors on our jerseys because they cannot be affiliated with the University without proper royalties.

Its sad that money is a big factor in this issue. Pretty sad if you ask me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
7F57565D7E514B505156380 said:
[quote author=033E253F22252A27272F2A327B7E4B0 link=1256691318/0#9 date=1258485795]What happened was....

The University is very incooperative. FLW wanted unrestricted use of the Texas trademark and UT wouldn't allow it.  The also wanted to have the wiegh-in on campus during a football weekend, but they wouldnt have the space either.  So basically, Texas doesnt care about anything but football and keeping their money.

Its sad that money is a big factor in this issue. Pretty sad if you ask me.[/quote]

Yeah, it is quite sad. They could have found space off campus, but the University would not allow use of their trademarks. They just can't stand to see someone else get publicity due to the use of the Longhorn trademark. Even if it is for the good of the UT students and students across the country. What FLW is doing with these college tournaments is awesome. There is nothing else like it out there and it provides so many opportunities for so many different kinds of students.

It's a shame, but we've been fighting this same battle with the university for 2 years now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
although, i think it would really cool to watch, im kinda glad it got taken off. i think lake austin gets alot of pressure already and if it is nationally televised and some of the teams pull out some monsters, it will just add that much more pressure from people around the nation wanting to catch our beast that we have. look at what happen to falcon after the bassmasters event.

also im not sure about the weight in at UT campass that seems like a lot of stress being but on the fish to tranport them there and back and we all know the survival rate of big fish under extreme pressure.

just my 2cents.

·
Registered
291 Posts
UT isnt the second richest school in the world for nothing...

Anyhoo, it would likely be 75 degrees out on that lake that weekend anyway, and even with a home game, the wakeboard traffic would still be miserable for contenders.

I'm not sure I agree that LA gets too much pressure, but I could certainly do without the added pressure :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts