Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And we had a heck of a day!  Put in at 973 and we floated down for a couple hours and then worked our way back up.

The action was pretty much nonstop.    All in all we boated 28 fish between the two of us. 15 for Mike and 13 for me.  Most were dinks but 4 would have been keepers with the biggest going 2.5 3lbs.  

I started the day off fishing a little roostertail, I think I landed one before it got hung and I lost it.  Fished a beetle-spin next and landed one with that before a nice chunk broke me off.  I was using a light setup and 6lb test.  After that I switched to a 2in minnow with a spinner on it.  Landed the majority of the rest of my fish on that.  I got frustrated with it though because my hookup to bite ratio was horrible. I must have missed 3 fish for every one that I landed.  I finished off the day using a clear baby torpedo and let me tell ya, they were blowing up on it.  Caught my biggest of the afternoon on that.  Went maybe 2 lbs.  

Mike caught all of his on a slightly bigger version of the spinner-minnow.  He caught most of the larger fish of the trip on this setup.  

The return upriver trip was a pain, we went a little to far down river and the trolling motor ran out of butt 3/4 of the way back to the truck.  But being the guys we are we took turns with a rope tied around the waste and just waded back upstream fishing the whole way.  All in all it was an awesome day!  Cant wait to get back out there.  I need to update my arsenal for smaller river fish though.  

Due to my luck with water and phones I kept mine in a ziploc the entire trip so we didnt get many pics.  Mike did get a pic of one of his bigger fish, hopefully he will post it.

Great day on the water! ;D

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Sounds like fun! Brings back old memories for me. We used to put in at 969 and also at Webberville Park and even sometimes in Smithville with canoes. Sometimes we'd float down and get back upstream with a second vehicle, or sometimes just up and back like you guys did. If you have just one vehicle, it's always easier to paddle upstream first (or troll if you want to use battery), then fish downstream. But you guys obviously dealt with your current issues and had a great time. Consider small rebel crawdad cranks and powergrubs next time. Thanks for the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.