Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the grand kids again all weekend which cut into fishing time once more. Youngest grand son has been battling an ear infection and we found out he has a busted ear drum. By yesterday afternoon everyone's nerves were on edge. I decided to volunteer to make an HEB run and take the 6 year old with me to give him a break too. On the way he asked me when we were going to go fishing again - a child after my own heart. I told him it would be soon and then explained that there was a new pond I wanted to take them to right by the HEB. "Why don't we go there now" he asked - the simply logic of children. I was about to tell him no because we didn't have any gear then I remembered my emergency 5 piece spinning rod hidden in the back. So we slid around back of the HEB and walked down to the pond - clear water and a rippling breeze. Only one H&H but at least it was white (note to self - get more lures for this bag). I started casting as we worked our way around the bank and let him reel it in. About 20 casts in he caught a very nice brim that he wanted to keep. I am pretty sure I could have filleted it but back in the water it went. By the time we made it around the pond he had landed 3 more small LMB. He was getting hot and starting to fidget so I figured we were about done. We were working our way across the dam to go back to the Jeep when he said Chief I think I am stuck. The rod was bent double and he was pulling as hard as he could. At first I thought he might have hooked some brush but quickly noticed that the line was moving rapidly to the left. About that time this 20" bass broke the surface and tail-walked its way across the water. I am not sure who whooped the loudest but it was a site to behold. I tried to get him to get his rod tip down but he wasn't listening. Two more beautiful jumps and that H&H came rocketing back at us. He sat down and started crying and I fought to keep from using colorful comments. No fish and the H&H was ensconced in the tree above us. Broken heart and broken line we headed to the Jeep and then to HEB. Fortunately young ones are resilient. He was over it long before I was and by the time we got home he had actually hooked a Marlin and almost landed him. I will be heading to HEB soon for sure. Be safe and keep your lines tight.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
He wasn’t the only one sitting down and crying yesterday. Can’t stop thinking about the one that got away. Great story Chief, its all in the telling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great day for memories .... even sad ones. As I explained to him later....we would have let him go anyway so he just saved us the trouble.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that is what I like to see. Great job teaching him Bill. That is the future of fishing right there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts