Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to hit up Lake Austin one day this weekend. If weather.com is right we will likely be doing this in the rain. How do you transition your fishing on Lake Austin when it is raining?

Do the fish move or are they in the same place?

Do they react to the same lures/colors?

I know there are a lot of subjective answers to the above, but I am just trying to develop a game plan.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I like to fish plastic when it rains. Top water when there is a drizzle.

But you fish it just about the same as would on a cloudy day.

I always seem to hook up with bigger fish when it’s raining. Less people on the water too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out we were able to sneak out on Lake Austin today between the rain.  I was surprised how many people were out there considering the weather.  The 360 put in lot was basically full.

The wife and daughter wanted to go along, so the trip was not as tuned to fishing as we would like.  We did go trolling north of City Park.  Caught a 2 lb black bass in ~ 20 fow with a DD22.

Weather looks better tomorrow we will likely hit up Travis.

Note that the camera battery was dead, so we had to drive home take a picture and then drive back to release the bass (unharmed).   :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO that seems like a little much for a pic. I know there are no laws about C n R and as long as you follow what laws are in place you have the right to keep whatever legal size fish you want ... but if you planned on releasing a fish you should release it in the water where you took it as quickly as possible.

Even if you actually did catch the fish, keep it in the live well ... drive all the way home for a picture and either set up a cooler with an aerator or put the fish back in the live well and tow the boat all the way back to the lake ... there is no way you put the boat back in the water to take the fish back where it came from.

Again I am not trying to be disrespectful or be a C n R dictator ... I just feel like if you are going to keep a fish you have every legal right to keep ... hey great. Enjoy your dinner ... no problem ... BUT ... if you are going to release it ... I feel like you should do everything you can to NOT cause physical trauma and unnecessary fatigue to the fish. As many of you know, just because you throw a fish back doesn't mean it survived your release.

I remove the hooks with the fish in the water whenever possible and take it out to click a pic in the spot I caught him and lower him back to the water and pull him back and forth until he swims away.

G

·
Yeah the Narcissist is right. Think about it, that fish could be dead, but now, instead, it had a really crappy day, and was probably pretty stressed. In my opinion, that fish would have rather you side a knife down its belly and bleed out while being suffocated, than to ride nervously in the live well for a quick drive back to the lake. I read somewhere that if a fish is pulled out of the water for longer than it takes to snap a quick pic, and put back in a place that isn't the exact spot they were pulled out, it can develop post traumatic stress disorder and take years, even decades to recover from it. I'm just sayin though...

·
Registered
113 Posts
You two complainers are sorry. If a guy wants to get a picture of his kid with a fish so be it. I'm hooked on fishing in large part due to a picture of me holding a fish about that size that sat on my nightstand for as long as I can remember. I'm sure the little bass in my picture did ride the greased lighting but how can you argue that the four forks full of meat would have made keeping this fish ok versus the efforts that this dad took to get a picture of his proud son and his bass. Stated more simply: shut up!

·
Registered
139 Posts
7B4A56575D5F5278574D565B4C3E0 said:
Yeah the Narcissist is right.  Think about it,  that fish could be dead, but now, instead, it had a really crappy day, and was probably pretty stressed.  In my opinion, that fish would have rather you side a knife down its belly and bleed out while being suffocated, than to ride nervously in the live well for a quick drive back to the lake.  I read somewhere that if a fish is pulled out of the water for longer than it takes to snap a quick pic, and put back in a place that isn't the exact spot they were pulled out, it can develop post traumatic stress disorder and take years, even decades to recover from it.  I'm just sayin though...
Oh here it goes ... was hoping if I worded things right it wouldn't go to this so I will elaborate on something real quick and move on.

I never said keeping the fish is BETTER than releasing. I always catch and release. I am saying why keep a fish out of the water that you have no intention keeping. I am saying that the potential PHYSICAL TRAUMA and FATIGUE ... which last time I checked kills fish.

Ethically pull your head outta your potlicker and think before you speak. Maybe if you actually read my post you could have responded to something that was actually written.

and Starkfishes ... I am saying if he wanted to keep the fish then FINE ... take it home ... take a picture ... heat up a skillet and enjoy. It is not my preference but so what. I am also saying it seems ... oh forget it I give up ... jesus effin christ make me a martyr for trying to equally be a good fisherman and a responsible fisherman at the same time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
133D2A35212C69606F580 said:
IMO that seems like a little much for a pic. I know there are no laws about C n R and as long as you follow what laws are in place you have the right to keep whatever legal size fish you want ... but if you planned on releasing a fish you should release it in the water where you took it as quickly as possible.

Even if you actually did catch the fish, keep it in the live well ... drive all the way home for a picture and either set up a cooler with an aerator or put the fish back in the live well and tow the boat all the way back to the lake ... there is no way you put the boat back in the water to take the fish back where it came from.

Again I am not trying to be disrespectful or be a C n R dictator ... I just feel like if you are going to keep a fish you have every legal right to keep ... hey great. Enjoy your dinner ... no problem ... BUT ... if you are going to release it ... I feel like you should do everything you can to NOT cause physical trauma and unnecessary fatigue to the fish. As many of you know, just because you throw a fish back doesn't mean it survived your release.

I remove the hooks with the fish in the water whenever possible and take it out to click a pic in the spot I caught him and lower him back to the water and pull him back and forth until he swims away.
So, why don't you write to all the tournaments and complain about how they keep fish for the weigh in and don't return them to their exact location????

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The man went through alot of extra effort to release the fish alive. Who cares if it didn't get released in the exact same spot it was caught. Something tells me that the fish is gonna be just fine.

Congrats on the catch and for spending some good fishing time with your son!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Fishing Lake Austin in the Rain
Reply #9 - Yesterday at 8:39pm EthicalFisher wrote on Yesterday at 7:55pm:

Yeah the Narcissist is right. Think about it, that fish could be dead, but now, instead, it had a really crappy day, and was probably pretty stressed. In my opinion, that fish would have rather you side a knife down its belly and bleed out while being suffocated, than to ride nervously in the live well for a quick drive back to the lake. I read somewhere that if a fish is pulled out of the water for longer than it takes to snap a quick pic, and put back in a place that isn't the exact spot they were pulled out, it can develop post traumatic stress disorder and take years, even decades to recover from it. I'm just sayin though...

Oh here it goes ... was hoping if I worded things right it wouldn't go to this so I will elaborate on something real quick and move on.

I never said keeping the fish is BETTER than releasing. I always catch and release. I am saying why keep a fish out of the water that you have no intention keeping. I am saying that the potential PHYSICAL TRAUMA and FATIGUE ... which last time I checked kills fish.

Ethically pull your head outta your potlicker and think before you speak. Maybe if you actually read my post you could have responded to something that was actually written.

and Starkfishes ... I am saying if he wanted to keep the fish then FINE ... take it home ... take a picture ... heat up a skillet and enjoy. It is not my preference but so what. I am also saying it seems ... oh forget it I give up ... jesus effin christ make me a martyr for trying to equally be a good fisherman and a responsible fisherman at the same time.

Great choice of words!!! I wont see you in heaven!!!

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Greats pics!  Both of your son with the bass (rattoomaniac), and of the dead horse beating!
;D

You know, multiple studies have shown that beating the head horse thoroughly actually INCREASES his chance of survival...

·
Registered
88 Posts
People need to get a grip! The fish isn't hurt and life goes on. The animals are not equal to people and the liberals can get over it. I may just keep a limit next time out in recognition of the knucklehead liberal's post on here. PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Now now Marine, I'm a liberal minded moral conservative with libertarian leanings who may or may not dissagree with the pervious posts but I definately don't think that you're going to prove your point by eating a limit of fish that we are trying to protect for purely selfish reasons...We want to catch that fish again and again. And no one knows if that fish has feelings, we just assume they don't because they don't express them in a manner we are able to understand...God gave us dominion over the flora and fawna, he didn't say use and abuse them as you will..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.