Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A river otter, check the pics on the tpwd site, sorry can't link yet in the forum.

I thought it was a beaver until I got home a googled pictures, wish I had a camera.  He crawled up my outboard, we looked at each other and he jumped underwater.  I saw him up and down the shore for over 2 hours.

Wind calmed down finally and caught a few dink near the dam, other than that the water was quite stained from the wind churning up the shallows. My only luck with blacks on GT recently is to troll them up with large cranks.

MW

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Could it have been a nutria?  

http://www.nutria.com/site.php

These are more common in Texas than otters.  You should be able to post pics after 5 posts.  Just follow the directions in the Misc or Tips section.  Thanks for the report.  One of the great things about fishing is seeing all the other wildlife out there in and around the water.  Don't see that stuff indoors!

· Registered
120 Posts
LMAO!!!!!  (Taken from www.nutria.com)

Note the highlighted part....

ENOLA'S SMOTHERED NUTRIA

Makes 4 Servings

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-3 pound nutria, cut in serving pieces
2 tablespoons Enola's Secret Seasoning + 2 teaspoons
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt (opt.)
3 3/4 cups chicken stock or broth

In a heavy 5-quart pot on high heat, add oil, heat until very hot. Sprinkle seasoning on meat; stir well. Add meat to pot, brown on all sides. Cook and stir 10 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper and flour, cook and stir 10 minutes. Add salt and chicken stock to pot cook and stir occasionally, (about 15 minutes) scraping the bottom of pot to remove all the goodness  :-/ :-/ :-/ Serve over hot cooked rice, pasta or cream potatoes.  

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but this was too good? to pass up... Or throw up.... Not sure which....

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Scraping the bottom of the pot is an old Cajun trick, works on jambalaya and gumbo too. That "goodness" is the best part, so long as you don't let it get too good, then it becomes charred badness. Nothing like a little river rat stew for breakfast. I'm fixin' to make me sum rot now!
;D

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Nutria make good fur coats... :D
http://www.nutria.com/site7.php

Nutria
These large semi-aquatic animals are many times mistaken for beaver within the Brazos basin. Like beaver, nutria have the ability to swim underwater and are agile on land. The distinguishing characteristic between the two is the nutria[ch65533]s lack of the beaver[ch65533]s trademark wide flat tail. Nutria is in fact a large form of rodent and sport a tail similar to a rat.

Originally native to South America, Nutria were brought to North America in the 1930s as part of the fur trade. Voracious herbivores, the animals have caused a great deal of damage to the natural aquatic vegetation, irrigation systems and river banks of the southern portion of the United States.

Nutria consumes about three pounds of vegetation each night. If their foraging isn[ch65533]t successful, your lake or river-side landscaping will appear to be an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Commercially produced rodent poison has proven effective with nutria. However, if poisoning is chosen as an elimination or reduction method, it is important to destroy the remains in order to prevent the accidental poisoning of other wildlife that might feed

· Registered
5,343 Posts
All 3 species live in Texas. I have seen both beavers and nutria on my pond in rural Hamilton Co. They follow any kind of drainage. If I am seeing them on a pond in the middle of nowhere central TX, u can bet they are on every river and lake around here. The only place I have ever seen otters was in a canal headed out to Sabine lake in southeast TX-so they may be around here too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.