Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm fishing from bastrop to smithville by kayak but have not fished this area before. Anyone have any tips for this part of the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven't gone all the way to Smithville in one trip, but have fished some locations in between. Nothing special you need to know, its pretty straight forward as far as fishing, but that's a pretty good distance, so I assume you have a motor boat?

If so, best advice is to take it easy. Lots of shallow areas and some oobstacles just below the surface (just like any river). I have never fished it in a motor boat, I fish out of a kayak.

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't gone all the way to Smithville in one trip, but have fished some locations in between. Nothing special you need to know, its pretty straight forward as far as fishing, but that's a pretty good distance, so I assume you have a motor boat?

If so, best advice is to take it easy. Lots of shallow areas and some oobstacles just below the surface (just like any river). I have never fished it in a motor boat, I fish out of a kayak.

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter
I'm doing a over night trip on my kayak will camp out on a sandbar somewhere along the way the trip is roughly 26 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Friend of mine canoed it several years ago and told me the fire ants can be bad on the sand bars. As far as fishing he didn't fish. He canoed all the way to Columbus, but talking about a guy who bicycled from Baytown to Big Bend at 51 years old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
made that trip years ago. caught my first guad at the time. our mistake was not going far enough the first day. we had jon boats so when we realized we were still in Bastrop the next morning, we spent the 2nd day motoring to Smithville. light tackle for the clear water you'll encounter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts