Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on Fayette I accidently snagged two Talipa. Decided to fillet them up and cook'em. They were the best tasting fillets I have ever had.
Now I want to try and catch them on purpose, but how? They don't bite on any lures, and I hear they eat grass.

Anyone know how to fish for them?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Growing up in Trinidad they were found in some of the streams and lakes.  They even tolerate a fair amount of salinity.  The Bass Man's right the best way to catch them is by cast net.  You can however catch them by hook and line.  The old fashioned way in Trinidad was a bamboo pole and line with a small hook (#12 possibly) covered by a dough ball on a bobber and also maybe a crimp-on weight to keep the hook down.  The hook was usually about 12-18 inches below the bobber.  I know others used earthworms as well but the only way I ever caught them was with a cast net so that would be what I would try unless you think the chance of snagging the net is too great.

·
Registered
590 Posts
6A6B7B666B6C7B090 said:
Casting Net, We saw some guys doing it last weekend.

Chris
Was this at Fayette? Wonder if Georgetown or Granger have any...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No it was on Calaveras down in SA but I know you could catch them on Fayette with a casting net.

I don't think Georgetown or Granger have any.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
While on Fayette I accidently snagged two Talipa. Decided to fillet them up and cook'em. They were the best tasting fillets I have ever had.
Now I want to try and catch them on purpose, but how? They don't bite on any lures, and I hear they eat grass.

Anyone know how to fish for them?

Thanks
I use earthworms to lure big tilapia fish, see the video :

1 - 10 of 10 Posts