Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a valid question and I'm also posting this as an experiment to see if we get some spam responses again. this is wierd.
Anyway, I have about concluded that the only fishing technique that works now is carolina or drop shot, since with the cold water the fish are suspended a few feet above the bottom and are reluctant to use energy to eat something like a worm on the bottom or a crank bait close to the top. Not only that but they are probably hanging around the deepest that they can, like at least 18-30ft. This is finese time. What to ya'll think?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
In my experience in the winter crank baits are my best bet. I'm assuming I'm getting reaction bites but soft plastics are nothing more than a shoulder workout for me when it's cold out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience in the winter crank baits are my best bet. I'm assuming I'm getting reaction bites but soft plastics are nothing more than a shoulder workout for me when it's cold out.
I like to run crank baits but I can't seem to catch anything with them. How deep are your crank baits going? Are you using sinking ones like a rattle trap or are you just running lures with a big lip that dive very deep.

You won't get much shoulder exercise with plastics as the reel in is so slow. Its mostly an eye test to see if the line is moving while you are reeling in.

I am fishing in the Dead Sea aka Lk Gtn so I can't expect much.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Are you waiting for Sophie from Miami Charters to post? She seems to be the only spammer that posts replies in threads, unless you have someone else in mind. Her posts are actually kind of entertaining. Good luck with the experiment.

For winter fishing, I don't have any local insight except that I've heard Florida strain bass are not active in cold water. I don't like finesse fishing. I got two bites today in WT = 47°F. I caught a LMB on a CR worm in 19 FOW and I got a strike on a vibrating jig in 10 FOW.

I really enjoy reading the "Day at the Lake" feature in Bassmaster magazine. If you get a winter month edition of Bassmaster, they put really good anglers on lakes in really cold weather. Every lure selection and technique is documented and these guys grind it out and catch fish!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at them. I was mainly trying to figure out what to try when I go to L Travis or the Dead Sea this time of year. Thought about hiring a guide, but I suspect that he'd say I need to adjust expectations, like you're lucky if you feel a few bumps.

I had been hooked on wacky worming senkos but that doesn't seem to work now. I agree with you, if you want some action this time of year you need to drive to Fayette but not if its WINDY.

there's other odd posts besides Sophie, I can't tell if Sophie is a bot or what.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, it is wierd, also what is the deal with those sports links postings?
I wouldn't count on Sophie being a her. I'm going to guess that she/he has one of those jobs advertised on the web as just stay at home all day and post things on the web, Why I have no clue. same thing on those sports links.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I like to run crank baits but I can't seem to catch anything with them. How deep are your crank baits going? Are you using sinking ones like a rattle trap or are you just running lures with a big lip that dive very deep.

You won't get much shoulder exercise with plastics as the reel in is so slow. Its mostly an eye test to see if the line is moving while you are reeling in.

I am fishing in the Dead Sea aka Lk Gtn so I can't expect much.
I run rattletraps year round since they can be fished in a bunch of different ways. Deep diving cranks as well.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'll take a look at them. I was mainly trying to figure out what to try when I go to L Travis or the Dead Sea this time of year. Thought about hiring a guide, but I suspect that he'd say I need to adjust expectations, like you're lucky if you feel a few bumps.

I had been hooked on wacky worming senkos but that doesn't seem to work now. I agree with you, if you want some action this time of year you need to drive to Fayette but not if its WINDY...
Adjust expectations NOTHIN'! Winter is no different than any other time of the year. You have good days and you have bad days all year long no matter what season. I have had plenty of days on Travis in the dead of winter catching 50+ bass. The "dog days of summer" are much more difficult than winter on Travis IMO. I've had winter days on Travis where I catch them in less than 5 ft all day long and then I've had days where you have to fish at least 40 ft. It all just depends on the day. Fish the conditions. You can catch them on reaction baits in winter just as well as you can fishing jigs and soft plastics; it all just depends on the conditions you have on that day. In 2017 I caught my first bass of the year on Lake Travis fishing a topwater popper during the first week of January. My most typical winter pattern for Travis though is yes, fishing a drop-shot rig and a football jig in 20-45 ft of water.

If you consider going out with a guide a little more seriously, I'd love the opportunity to take you out there and give you some pointers for catching them in the winter. Just let me know, and otherwise good luck out there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts