Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of fishing Lake Bastrop tomorrow for the first time. Would launch at South Shore. Usually fish Travis and sometimes Georgetown, so I’m completely unfamiliar with this lake. Any tips on what type of cover or water I should look for? I have no idea how it fishes. Not asking for anyone’s honey holes, just general suggestions and areas of the lake that hold fish this time of year.

Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe Jeremy can chime in, but I know Bastrop has grass, and tons of it, so it will not fish like Travis or Georgetown.
Yeah that’s about as much as I know, tons of grass. Not something I’ve ever really fished before.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have had luck fishing the discharge, as well as using fluke style baits along the dam, and by the intake. I will run them weightless and weedless, drifting in, or with, the current

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had luck fishing the discharge, as well as using fluke style baits along the dam, and by the intake. I will run them weightless and weedless, drifting in, or with, the current
Man the discharge ain’t no joke! They were jumping all over the place at the mouth of it. I chased them around with a top water popper for about 20 minutes but only got bit once. Drove and scouted around for a while. Ended up with three altogether, all caught on a fluke. Nice little lake!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When they are eating at the discharge it can be phenomenal. When they are not, it can be aggravating as hell.
Shot myself in the foot though. I chased the topwater blowup so hard that it cost me a bunch of fish. All I had to do was throw a fluke or something resembling a shad and they probably would’ve torn it up. 🤦‍♂️ Oh well, it’s been so long since there been any topwater action anywhere it was worth the try lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 'Strop is only 960 acres and it's covered in eel grass. Over by the dam, there are several humps to look for on your electronics. The timber by the Boy Scout camp on the NE side is popular, as is the Camper Loop by South Shore Park. The cove to the north of the dam has timber in it. I've had success with weedless swimbaits in the grass, lipless and square bill crankbaits in the timber, and deep-diving crankbaits by the dam. I've had limited success with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Frogs are your friend early and late, especially by the reeds. I've also had success with dog walkers, such as Heddon's Zara Spook Jr., and Whopper Ploppers, early and late. The bass usually don't start schooling until the water hits 90 degrees, around Independence Day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 'Strop is only 960 acres and it's covered in eel grass. Over by the dam, there are several humps to look for on your electronics. The timber by the Boy Scout camp on the NE side is popular, as is the Camper Loop by South Shore Park. The cove to the north of the dam has timber in it. I've had success with weedless swimbaits in the grass, lipless and square bill crankbaits in the timber, and deep-diving crankbaits by the dam. I've had limited success with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Frogs are your friend early and late, especially by the reeds. I've also had success with dog walkers, such as Heddon's Zara Spook Jr., and Whopper Ploppers, early and late. The bass usually don't start schooling until the water hits 90 degrees, around Independence Day.
Thank you very much for the info! I greatly appreciate it 🙏

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thinking of fishing Lake Bastrop tomorrow for the first time. Would launch at South Shore. Usually fish Travis and sometimes Georgetown, so I’m completely unfamiliar with this lake. Any tips on what type of cover or water I should look for? I have no idea how it fishes. Not asking for anyone’s honey holes, just general suggestions and areas of the lake that hold fish this time of year.

Thanks,
Cory
Lake us full of grass. Wacky rigged gree pumpkin will catch fish. Cast to the reeds with grass in front. Let sink then slow drag. When stuck in grass pull until its free and let it sink again. Easy peazy

·
Registered
82 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts