Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a "report" but it is "bank-fishing" related....

Looks like Austin Parks and Recreation department is spreading fear about fishing safety on the new boardwalk. The dept. is proposing a ban on fishing from the pier. A public input meeting is scheduled for Dec. 11th. I have zero time for fishing or anything remotely described as fun, but I will make time to attend that meeting.

Details are light because I'm not a subscriber to the statesman website. Can anyone else fill us in on what's behind the pay-wall?

mtf

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm planning to attend today's city council meeting and speak out against the proposed ban. My concerns are the following:

1. As a voter, I supported this bond election with the understanding that fishing was an intended use for the boardwalk.
2. If fishing was never an intended goal for the boardwalk, that should have been noted in the bond election. Canceling fishing after the election is a "bait-and-switch" on the voters.
3. A dedicated 'fishing pier' is misguided. Segregating the anglers in this area will mean intense pressure on any possible fish stock, so no one will ever catch anything there.
4. Impoverished families do not have boats or kayaks, so this boardwalk represents an excellent opportunity for family bonding through fishing.
5. There is no data to support fishhooks as a significant driver of hospital ER visits relative to the other approved uses of the boardwalk. This is proposed legislation founded on hysteria.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They postponed the vote on this item until February, leaving it to the new city council.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm still going down to speak at the public input meeting at 4:00 PM today so that I can hopefully create some kind of momentum against this ban. Here's the verbage of the proposed ordinance:

Text Font Line Document

Looks like Austin PARD is also asking to ban bank fishing from the mouth of Shoal Creek all the way to the railroad bridge on both shores.

-- mtf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.