Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I disagree with the assertion that this has anything to do with controlling the people, and to some extent not even public safety for that matter. Unfortunately the litigious society which we live in is constantly in cover your ass mode. This is true for corporations, government agencies (like cities), as well private practices like doctors, so many people have been ruined through law suits that the first thing people ask is how to eliminate any liability to personal injury.

I know there is sovereign immunity and the city is pretty well protected in a lot of areas. And in the long run they might even win a lawsuit from a biker who caught a crankbait in the eye and lost vision. Regardless they would still have substantial legal fees.

At the very least if this was a concern the city could post signs stating they are not liable for any accidents incurred on this bridge. This could also serve as reminder to both bikers/pedestrians and anglers to be aware of one another. Not a perfect example but in a similar way that dirt bike park on 9th street between West and Lamar is a city of austin park. Many years ago after some kid got hurt and sued the city, they didn't level the park. Instead the city put up signs that say bike at your own risk, city is not responsible. Anyways, good luck with yalls meeting.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Blanket warning are simply a deterrent to the less knowledgeable legally informed. If there is an inherent risk, the owner or controlling individual, corporation, government entity can still be held liable. ...........
Well and like I said before to some extent I believe the COA is covered by sovereign immunity (I'm not up to date on all my SI tort exceptions in Texas for local municipalities, but if you are a lawyer perhaps you are). That being said, the reason I mentioned this was just to have this in the back of the minds for anybody who was going to go argue on behalf of anglers. It might not get brought up, but having a plan for any and all objections can only help their cause.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.