Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate posting stuff like this, but caught a few of these on the Devil's river a few weeks ago. I've looked through all of my books and online and cannot figure out what these are. Largest one was about 8in. Initially thought they might be some juvi small mouths, but they do not have a spiny dorsal at all. No spots or stripes, just very smooth greenish silver, with a green back, and a very dark tail.

I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious, but nobody I have showed the picture to has any clue. I've heard anything from golden shiner to a freshwater perch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using a 5in Baby Bass Senko. Either a 2/0 or 3/0 offset hook with a light 1/8oz bullet weight.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The missing dorsal is very confusing because otherwise it looks like something in the sunfish family. I would say that it is not in the minnow family.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Florida has the recently discovered provisional new black bass species called Choctaw bass. Looks like the OP has discovered a new species of black bass. The Comanche bass?

If the OP has caught just one, the missing dorsal could be attributed to injury or malformation. With the OP's report of multiple fish with no spiny dorsal, his ID request becomes difficult.

When I first glanced at the picture, I thought it was a meanmouth (black bass). Then I read about the missing fin and looked closer at the picture. It still looks like a black bass, but what species?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have caught similar looking light colored bass on the Gudalupe river as well.... look just like fish in the ID question post, might be a hybryd small/black... could be a smallmouth, you never know, some of those river system could have had hundreds of generations of hybrid breading so the coloration of bass in rivers can be unique.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Florida has the recently discovered provisional new black bass species called Choctaw bass. Looks like the OP has discovered a new species of black bass. The Comanche bass?

If the OP has caught just one, the missing dorsal could be attributed to injury or malformation. With the OP's report of multiple fish with no spiny dorsal, his ID request becomes difficult.

When I first glanced at the picture, I thought it was a meanmouth (black bass). Then I read about the missing fin and looked closer at the picture. It still looks like a black bass, but what species?
We caught several, all were missing the dorsal just like this one. I agree it looks like some sort of bass, undoubtedly a predatory fish as well. I've considered it might be possible that someone released something non-indigenous down in Lake Amistad that swam upstream over the years, but still I have yet to find anything that resembles it. I feel a little better that everyone is as stumped as me. I've fished all over the US since I was about 5 years old so it's not often I come across something that I literally have no clue what it is. Thanks for the comments everyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Response from Steve Magnelia @ TPWD - " It looks like a Smallmouth Bassto me. Sometimes fish have abnormalities."

Not exactly a definitive answer but one I tend to agree with . Fish in the OP has those red, smallie eyes and the jaw hinge is in front of them. The abnormalities Steve is referencing would be the lack of spiny dorsal. I mentioned this as one the things that was confusing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dont recall the abscence of the dorsal fin, but ive caught similar fish on the Blanco outside of Wimberley. They definitely seemed like bass, and with the shortened jaw we figured they were juvi guads very colorless due to very clear water and no grass. Ill get a pic of the next one I catch and see if I can remember to post of pic back here.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I hesitate to say this, but there are pics of "Guadalupe Trout" that look very similar to the OP's pic.

Apparently, Canyon lake can support trout year round in Texas. Hmmmm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts