Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum and new to fishing in Central Texas. A buddy and I went out to LPf yesterday morning and tried to bank fish along the dam and north sides of the lake. Seemed like a great morning for froggin' but got skunked on those. Fished with frogs, chatterbait, squarebills. and and some soft plastics. Only had two dinks to show for!

Any tips for the new guy?

P.S. Next time ill bring the kayak!

Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think Jeremy is the SME on LPf. He posts a lot of reports on the lake.
Concur that Jeremy is the SME (Subject Matter Expert).

I was out in the kayak on Friday morning and hooked up with something using a drop shot but not sure what I hooked since it broke my line. Thinking maybe it was a turtle since it fought a little bit and then seemed to swim towards the kayak but once I got it close to the kayak it headed straight to the bottom.

Since I was in grass at the time I tried to use brute force to keep it out of the grass but it ended up breaking me off. I had just tied the drop shot on new 15 pound fluorocarbon that morning but did not have any more fluorocarbon with me.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sorry about the lost fish Chief. From the vid, I'd guess you had a stout bass straight-up break you off.

Thank y'all for the kind acknowledgements. Yes it is true that in the last few years I have amassed significant boat time on Lake Pfork. I very rarely fish from the bank, so I'm not an expert from that perspective. I would like to wet-wade later in the summer if the opportunity presents itself. I would wet-wade the west shoreline, as it is an expansive shallow flat.

My advice for the OP is once you get your kayak, paddle to the grass (everywhere) and toss in a senko. Be prepared to grind, because the bite comes and goes. This morning, I caught a couple dozen fish, mostly dinks and some one pounders mostly on senko.
IMG_20170708_112333512.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about the lost fish Chief. From the vid, I'd guess you had a stout bass straight-up break you off.

Thank y'all for the kind acknowledgements. Yes it is true that in the last few years I have amassed significant boat time on Lake Pfork. I very rarely fish from the bank, so I'm not an expert from that perspective. I would like to wet-wade later in the summer if the opportunity presents itself. I would wet-wade the west shoreline, as it is an expansive shallow flat.

My advice for the OP is once you get your kayak, paddle to the grass (everywhere) and toss in a senko. Be prepared to grind, because the bite comes and goes. This morning, I caught a couple dozen fish, mostly dinks and some one pounders mostly on senko.
View attachment 34722
By everywhere, do you mean the hydrilla in the middle of the lake or the grass towards the bank/shore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
By everywhere, do you mean the hydrilla in the middle of the lake or the grass towards the bank/shore?
Yes! The city's haphazard grass-harvesting/pump-overhauling program has resulted in grass covering nearly the entire lake. You have hydrilla five feet and deeper and pondweed five feet and shallower. One type of grass holds the giants and the other type holds the dinks. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which is which.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One type of grass holds the giants and the other type holds the dinks. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which is which.
I found the secret to having a Jeremy type of day catching fish -- leave your wallet at home. For some reason I did not take my wallet with me this morning and had one of my better days on Pflugerville. :cool:

Today I was able to catch seven LMB in the 4.5 hours I was out in my kayak with the best at 3.05 pounds. Most were caught on a Texas rigged Morning Dawn Zoom Z3 Trick Worm and the rest on a 3/8 ounce Chartreuse Evilution Lures Evil "V" 4x4 Spinnerbait. All were caught along weed lines while casting from deep water into the weeds with the hook ups coming when the lure came out of the weeds.

Water temp was a little cooler today than on Monday -- started at 83.5 degrees and was 85 degrees when I left.

20170718 Lake Pflugerville Track.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the noob question but how deep was the water when you were casting the Texas rig? And were you just doing a slow twitch/jerk retrieve after it hit the ground? I’m still learning how to fish on a kayak/boat and have had zero luck when fishing deep water with a t-rig :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I found the secret to having a Jeremy type of day catching fish...

...All were caught along weed lines while casting from deep water into the weeds with the hook ups coming when the lure came out of the weeds.
TFTR Chief! I'm happy to see you found the bite plus a good'un to boot. I appreciate all the detail in your report and the track is quite interesting. IIRC, your track lines up with hydrilla edges in 12 to 15 FOW.

Sorry for the noob question but how deep was the water when you were casting the Texas rig? And were you just doing a slow twitch/jerk retrieve after it hit the ground?
Great question. If you look at Chief's yak track, that has me thinking he was fishing most of the deeper grass edges. The depths are 12+. He already answered your question with his post:

All were caught along weed lines while casting from deep water into the weeds with the hook ups coming when the lure came out of the weeds.
Chief has found the secret to texas-rig fishing at Pflugie. I love the Texas-rig. What I do is throw a non-pegged 1/4 oz weighted soft plastic worm into the grass near its visible outside (toward the center of the lake) edge. There will be some grass that is submerged near this edge. If the worm hangs in the matt, pull it towards the edge until it sinks. Try to get the worm to the bottom and deadstick for as long as thirty seconds which to me is a long time. Then slowly drag the worm a foot or so at a time with pauses of three or four seconds. As your bring the worm back towards you, you should feel the tick of grass stems along the retrieve. When I feel the resistance of the grass stalk, I pull slowly until it drops free of the stalk and wait five or ten seconds maybe shaking the tip or deadstick. When I reel and I don't feel the tick or pull of the grass, I reel in and throw back closer to the the grass. In conclusion, if you don't feel grass on your retrieve you should reel in and cast closer to the matt or reposition your yak where you can see some grass on your sonar.

Hey Chief, please correct me if I got the depth wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Most of action in one area was along the edge of the grass where the depth was 10 feet but I was in 21 foot of water. There was a 6 foot drop at the edge of the grass and I was getting the action when my rig came out of the grass and dropped down to deeper water but it seemed the fish were holding in about 15 feet of water. I also tried casting to deep water and retrieving back in the grass but for that particular day the secret was the t-rig coming out of the grass.

I also had a first where I actually saw fish on my Humminbird and cast to them and picked up a 2 pounder. You can tell on the track where there is a lot of overlap the areas where I had the most success.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all, just following up on this. Sorry for the delay. This is all good info. Will totally keep it in mind next time we check out LPf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts