Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take my unstable 10ft canoe to LBL today. I launched at the Austin High ramp and went across the lake and fished near some down trees but no luck, lots of topwater action though. all of sudden I hear a gas motor turn around and see rowers rowing and their coach on gas powered boat with a megaphone. That was something I wasn't expecting. I thought only law enforcement was allowed gas motors on LBL?
So to get away from that nonsense I paddled my way up towards Barton Springs and started slapping some senkos. Wasn't getting a nibble on a 5" green pumpkin. So I switched to the farthest color from it, a sparkly flaming red 4" senko. Tossed it out and saw my line moving a little bit faster than usual so I jerked my pole felt a very light thump. While reeling in I'm thinking "crap it's probably covered in weeds" then I get another thump and see this nice bass on the end of my line! when she got closer she put up a hell of a fight. Jumping out of the water, pulling me around in my little canoe, and splashing me with water. I finally pull her out of the water and I'm shaking I'm so excited. This might be a new PB the last big one I caught at Brushy Creek probably didn't weigh as much as I had guessed. She came out to 5.13# and I was thrilled, had an audience too lol. Unfortunately she swallowed my hook and my senko completely :(

Long story short I will definitely be hitting LBL again. Beautiful scenery, beautiful ladies, very clear water, and nice sized fish. Had a great time.

Also there is some very large shad up near barton. does anybody know what one would need to catch some of these if the bass aren't biting?

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
...Unfortunately she swallowed my hook and my senko completely :(
So what did you do? Cut the line or keep it?

The rowers and their coaches are a hassle. I fished LBL daily for two years, but only noticed them traffic wise this year. They're completely oblivious, so you have to be sure you're out of the way because they will hit you and keep on going. Lots of stuff about it if you search the board.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to cut the line never seen a bass completely swallow a hook and lure till today, nothing was exposed :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Those large gizzard shad eat tiny plankton, IIRC. I've never seen one caught on rod and reel. Not to say it can't or doesn't happen, though. Just never heard of anyone catching one on any kind of hook.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the fish and yea, it is much different after you get a scale. When I saw your report on BC I knew that the weight guesstimator based on length is really off in the high range.

LBL rowers are balanced out by the paddle fairies so it is all good.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The rowing teams can run motors. They're a pain. They know we tend to fish near the banks and not in the middle of the lake and yet they go down along the side. I had a collision with one a couple of weeks ago where my kayak was literally touching the bank and they still hit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
In my experience the rowers are the worst, not only are they unaware of their surroundings but they are unapologetic about it. Chuck and I got broadsided once by some rowers who did not say a word and just kept rowing on. No apology or nothing. I'd be lying if I said I did not want to cast a crankbait into that guys face that morning

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe we should start rowing into them and see how they like it or atleast blow an air horn at them to scare the piss out of them for a second. Lol

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Like yak and bank fishermen, you can get quite a mix in how the rowers will respond to you on LBL. I've had some be very apologetic when they've gotten too close. I've had a motor launch captain congratulate me on a five pounder I caught while he was a witness. I was fishing about thirty feet from the women's Longhorn crew invitational during their heats and they were very polite and took an interest in the fish I was catching, even though they were focused on the meet. So it's not fair for me to say there aren't nice rowers.

However.

I use my whistle to prevent collisions way more often with rowers than with any other type of watercraft. They're so single-minded that they just flat don't see you until its too late. And there are a fair share of asshats out there too that think you shouldn't be in there way. Fair enough. Just stick to the middle and give us the bank plus thirty feet and we're good. But it doesn't always work out that way.

LBL is a special lake. It's amazing to some people to see you pull a 8 lb-plus fish out of there. They had no idea. It's like you performed a magic trick. But at the same time, it's a lake for the masses. You have to realize that and temper your expectations of privacy and space, or you're gonna be extremely butthurt, almost every time out.

-SSJr

·
Registered
855 Posts
Like yak and bank fishermen, you can get quite a mix in how the rowers will respond to you on LBL. I've had some be very apologetic when they've gotten too close. I've had a motor launch captain congratulate me on a five pounder I caught while he was a witness. I was fishing about thirty feet from the women's Longhorn crew invitational during their heats and they were very polite and took an interest in the fish I was catching, even though they were focused on the meet. So it's not fair for me to say there aren't nice rowers.

However.

I use my whistle to prevent collisions way more often with rowers than with any other type of watercraft. They're so single-minded that they just flat don't see you until its too late. And there are a fair share of asshats out there too that think you shouldn't be in there way. Fair enough. Just stick to the middle and give us the bank plus thirty feet and we're good. But it doesn't always work out that way.

LBL is a special lake. It's amazing to some people to see you pull a 8 lb-plus fish out of there. They had no idea. It's like you performed a magic trick. But at the same time, it's a lake for the masses. You have to realize that and temper your expectations of privacy and space, or you're gonna be extremely butthurt, almost every time out.

-SSJr
Damn fine write-up, SSJr! Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I swear the few mega-gut hooks I've had were all on wacky senkos. I've started using circle or octopus hooks if I'm wacky rigging, seems to solve the issue completely.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It seems like every time I'm out there, I have someone tell me "You shouldn't be fishing here" or "You're acting dangerously, you could hook someone". That's great people, now can you please continue paddling down the lake with your poodle and paddleboard?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Chuck and I got broadsided once by some rowers who did not say a word and just kept rowing on. No apology or nothing.
They are required by law to report collisions. Call the warden and they will pursue it. The law requires that any boat that strikes another boat must stop to offer aid and give WRITTEN contact information. The rowtards will not start respecting the rules until we make them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts