Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 weeks here in Austin, I finally got out on the water and stuck my first fish in Texas.

A big THANK YOU to basstrack for taking the time to drive down from Cedar Park to pick me up here in S. Austin and bringing me to Decker for a day of LMB fishin'. I really appreciate the favor and had a great time.

We arrived at Decker about a half hour before the gates opened and organized the boat. After launching we headed for the far east side of the lake and started with a variety of swimbaits, topwaters, crankbaits, blades, you name it. Basstrack missed one fish on an LV and after a while we switched gears a bit.
I started pitchin' a Senko around some shallow grass with a wide leaf. I don't know what the name of the grass is. I stuck my first fish then another and missed another in 3 casts. Hmmm....
We stayed in the area and caught 8 or 9 fish before the spot wore out. Then we headed across the lake and flipped and pitched tules for a few more.
One of the fish I stuck I got a real good hook set on and it came flying out of the water and banged up against the hull of the boat. Basstrack laughed asking me "You club many baby seals?"  ;D The fish was stuck right in the roof of it's mouth. A perfect "cross his eyes" Bill Dance hookset. LOL
I think we each finished with 7 fish apiece with the best being about 15 1/2 inches(my personal best Texas bass  ;) ).
We were off the lake by 1PM.

Thanks again basstrack! I hope we get to fish again sometime.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Your welcome Fishmonger, glad I could get you hooked up to your first Texas LMBs.

Tight lines :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
714556595C4E68635659370 said:
Congratulations, Chris...

I am happy to hear you start fishing in Texas. Life is more enjoyable here in Texas than it's in California, IMO, but I miss saltwater fishing though...

Frank
I miss the ocean too. But I sure don't miss the tie-dye. ;D

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Sounds like a good day at Decker! Thanks for the report. And remember, when you're longing for the coast/saltwater, it's only 3.5 hrs a away. Were I single and irresponsible again, I'd be down there all the time.

Glad to hear you found work. Work, although it may be a pain in the arse, pays for our fishing trips. So I think of each work day as getting a little closer to the next fishing trip...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
10081C33293233343D3C2E2D5A0 said:
[quote author=617E726162667A60130 link=1243251424/0#12 date=1243392490]Work, although it may be a pain in the arse, pays for our fishing trips.  So I think of each work day as getting a little closer to the next fishing trip...
Couldn't have said it better myself.
[/quote]
Yeah, it's a pain in my arse, my feet, my back... and worth it if I get to go fishin' even ONCE a week.

So, ummm... if anybody has an open back seat, send me a PM or gimme a call. ;) I love chasing LMB but would also like to try the hybrids and stripers here too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fish we caught were all caught flippin' the tules with watermelon red Senkos. Purdy standard anywhere I've fished. I didn't notice the fish being any more or less aggressive.
I'm not really expecting much new as far as the fish or how to catch them. The only thing new to me are those Grande Rattlesnakes which I haven't tried yet. Baits change all the time, but a bass is a bass is a bass... I've got a few new baits & presentations to show the fish that they haven't seen yet. ??? We'll see if they work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.