Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been catching 1 - 1 1/2 lb LMB off my dock but just couldn't catch any bigger ones in last couple of months. Bought a new rod and reel today from Dick's (Lew's Mach II Speed Spool Combo for $169) Great rod/reel and wanted to check it out tonight so hit the dock. Put on a watermelon seed baby brush hog, Texas rigged, and on about the 5th cast, tied one on. It measured almost 19 1/2 inches (4 lber) NICE CATCH!!! In about 10-15 FOW. Threw at bank and hit it about 20 ft from the bank.
IMG_8634b.jpg IMG_8636.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just don't go to Dick's in Bee Cave's if you want a right handed model Lew's combo. I went yesterday and they had one right handed one. I picked it up to buy it and the left side reel cover was missing. I asked the kid working that section what happened to side cover. He said it came that way to the store (BS) and he called the manager and the manager said he could discount it 10%. I asked why they would even have it on the shelf for sale if it was missing the side cover and he said someone could probably call Lew's Service Center and explain the situation and they would probably sell you the side cover. I told him he was crazy and they shouldn't even put it out for sale.
SO, today I drove to the Cedar Park store and they had about 10 of the right handed models so I bought it there....with all the pieces hahaha
So much nicer a store and lot better selection since it is a Field and Stream store.
lews combo.JPG lewsreel.JPG

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice fish... congratulations.

Re: Dick's in Bee Cave. I never really thought much about Dick's in general, though since I live in Briarcliff, it's the closest place to buy hooks, line, etc. Now, I REALLY don't care for Dick's in Bee Cave.

If I were the fishing dept. manager, not only would I have refused to sell you that rod combo, I would have been embarrassed and would have offered you another similar setup as a second choice with a 10% discount, or called the Cedar Park store and had them deliver a good Lew's combo to Bee Cave or hold one for you there with a 10% discount for your inconvenience. What cost to the store? Seventeen bucks? That's NOTHING for a store that large compared to the loss of customer goodwill.

I dare say that just posting the story of your transaction there has cost that store FAR MORE MONEY in potential sales than the insignificant amount they supposedly "saved." Anyone who's been in retail management will tell you that the most valuable asset a store can have is customer goodwill. Folks will drive across the county to spend money at a business they feel values their customers and wouldn't walk across the street to piss on a business that was on fire if they don't feel appreciated there.

Case in point: Gary Pender and his crew at Tracker Marine. It's a 2-hour round-trip from my place up here on N. Lake Travis. No problem, happy to drive it, met by a manager that knows me by name and takes care of me and my boat like we both own it. Or at least, that's how he makes me feel. That kind of service is priceless, for the customer and Bass Pro both.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Went out this morning on the boat from 10A until around 2P. Caught about 20 fish with the biggest 3 weighing just at 2 lbs each and the others 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Found a honey hole and caught them all on watermelon candy texas rigged Zoom brush hogs in about 3-10 FOW. Threw them right against the rocks and slow retrieve back to the boat and usually hit it about 15-20 ft from the bank. Lots of pleasure boats and waves after about 11a.
IMG_8690 528b.jpg IMG_8694 528b.jpg IMG_8698 528b.jpg

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caught again today on baby brush hogs and shaky head with Yumdinger senko. Not as many, but great day on the water. Scouting out the different sloughs close to my dock. Several good ones close I will definitely go back to. Boat needed gas first, so had to make 3 trips to Spicewood Grocery to fill up my 5 gallon can and ended up buying another one to fill the 30 gallon tank faster hahaha. It is about 20 miles by water to Briarcliff Marina which is the closest marina with gas to me. (no photos cause I don't usually take photos of my fish unless they are 2 lbs or bigger)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nice fish... congratulations.

Re: Dick's in Bee Cave. I never really thought much about Dick's in general, though since I live in Briarcliff, it's the closest place to buy hooks, line, etc. Now, I REALLY don't care for Dick's in Bee Cave.

If I were the fishing dept. manager, not only would I have refused to sell you that rod combo, I would have been embarrassed and would have offered you another similar setup as a second choice with a 10% discount, or called the Cedar Park store and had them deliver a good Lew's combo to Bee Cave or hold one for you there with a 10% discount for your inconvenience. What cost to the store? Seventeen bucks? That's NOTHING for a store that large compared to the loss of customer goodwill.

I dare say that just posting the story of your transaction there has cost that store FAR MORE MONEY in potential sales than the insignificant amount they supposedly "saved." Anyone who's been in retail management will tell you that the most valuable asset a store can have is customer goodwill. Folks will drive across the county to spend money at a business they feel values their customers and wouldn't walk across the street to piss on a business that was on fire if they don't feel appreciated there.

Case in point: Gary Pender and his crew at Tracker Marine. It's a 2-hour round-trip from my place up here on N. Lake Travis. No problem, happy to drive it, met by a manager that knows me by name and takes care of me and my boat like we both own it. Or at least, that's how he makes me feel. That kind of service is priceless, for the customer and Bass Pro both.

Thank's from all of us @ Tracker/ BPS service.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We sure could use an Academy in Spicewood/Marble Falls/Lakeway/Bee Caves area. Lots of lakes out here and the closest fishing/hunting store is DICK's in Bee Caves and I don't like their selection or lack of knowledgeable employees.
With all the sports and outdoor activities in this area, you would think Academy would build one out this way. Closest one is either Circle C or Cedar Park almost an hour away to either one.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
We sure could use an Academy in Spicewood/Marble Falls/Lakeway/Bee Caves area. Lots of lakes out here and the closest fishing/hunting store is DICK's in Bee Caves and I don't like their selection or lack of knowledgeable employees.
With all the sports and outdoor activities in this area, you would think Academy would build one out this way. Closest one is either Circle C or Cedar Park almost an hour away to either one.
I think the closest Academy is the Brodie/Sunset Valley store.

I talked to the fishing dept manager at the Brodie/Sunset Valley Academy about this very subject. I even made the suggestion that a perfect location would be the Randall's at 620/Lohmann's Crossing in Lakeway. Since the new mega-HEB opened literally across 620 from the Randall's, it was/is my hope that Randall's would eventually vacate and that store would be a perfect location for a new Academy. Lakeway/Spicewood area is loaded with school athletics, ball sports, fishermen and hunters, and "health fashion" enthusiasts. And new housing and school growth is going in all the time in Bee Cave, Sweetwater, Rough Hollow, West Cypress Hills, etc.

It would take very little for Academy to kick Dick's' ass in all of those departments. I'm surprised that AS&O hasn't done any prospecting around this area, there's already serious talk from those who know that an HEB will be going into Spicewood within a couple of years. For that matter, with land being cleared on Hwy 71 even as we speak, there could be activity in that regard already happening.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AMEN!!! I agree 100%. And I agree that that would be a perfect location in the middle of Lakeway and KICK Dick's butt.
Also since they are about to start building Thomas Ranch subdivision along HWY 71 in Spicewood at Paleface Ranch Road. It will have about 3,000 new homes and a marketplace and restaurants and movie theater.
Keeping my fingers crossed for an Academy out here or in Marble Falls at least.
AND, we need a Chuy's, Dos Salsas, Lupe Tortilla, or some GOOD Mexican Food restaurant. There is NO good Mexican food out this way. And could use a Jason's Deli. Just sayin.... Have a few BBQ joints near Spicewood but nothing like Coopers BBQ and it is about 50 minutes to Llano or an hour to Coopers in downtown Austin. Opie's is just OK (IMO), Its All Good BBQ is OK, and Schmidt's BBQ SUX. I would even settle for Rudys, Smokey Moes, or PoK-e-Jo's.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well, I think La Cabana is pretty good, better than Rosie's, but yeah, more will be better. Verde's is too inconvenient.

But most importantly... to me, of course :cool:... is a place that serves breakfast and knows how to cook eggs closer than the piss-poor choices we have now. The Little Country Diner DOES NOT know how to make a decent breakfast. So what we have is the It's All Good BBQ, Willie's Hamburgers, and Oli's further up the road in the Spicewood Chevron station, making breakfast tacos.

There is no breakfast being offered south of Marble Falls until Rosie's Tamale House in Bee Cave (and the very chi-chi Mimi's in Galleria). Even then we're basically looking at huevos rancheros. Then nothing until you hit Jim's in Oak Hill. Unacceptable.

Hey, I'd be happy for a Waffle House!

I've discussed the issue with several restaurant owners I know and they say that the major problem, aside from kitchen logistics, is staffing from the resident population. Nobody wants to do retail restaurant work in this area and it's next to impossible to get low-paid workers to drive out here from Austin. Apparently kids living in Lakeway and Sweetwater don't see themselves as waiters and dishwashers.

Who would have thunk it? :smilygifs1013: Apparently the children of chiefs don't see themselves working as Indians.

As the population grows out here, the change will come. Right now, it's folks getting killed on 71 as they're texting at 80mph heading into A-town. But the number of folks and dollars moving here will eventually bring both the good and the bad to our stretch of the Hill Country.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
When Jim Bob's closed down that was a sad day. Man you talk about good breakfast tacos-holy cow. I used to work in commercial real estate and HEB owns land just west of serene hills drive. You'll see more retail development there. But even in the newer retail developments going on around Austin metro, I'm not seeing any Academy stores. Maybe the KKR owners are not seeing the profits they need. The fishing section seems to have improved at Academy from what it was a year or two ago.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fishin Steeler, we have tried La Cabana and think it is pretty good, but the hot sauce is not spicy enough for us, and not crazy about their chips. The owner was really friendly and personable. Its All Good BBQ people are not the friendliest, and we aren't crazy about their BBQ brisket, although we do like to drive thru and get chopped bbq sandwiches to bring home. I judge most bbq by their pork ribs, and my wife judges by their brisket which she likes the lean and not fatty.
Schmidts BBQ at 620/Bee Caves is OUT completely for us. We love Coopers in Llano or downtown Austin but I realize that it is a personal preference about BBQ. To each his own. Opie's is just OK in our book which is a shame since it is only about 5 minutes from our house. We had a party Saturday night and I picked up BBQ from Cooper's in Llano for 30 people and it was fantastic. 10 lbs of brisket, 7 lbs of sausage, 1 gallon of beans, potato salad, and coleslaw, 3 gallons of sweet tea, and pickles, onions, jalapenos and bread. Everyone raved about the BBQ! Also had beer, wine, and soft drinks (and later shots of Fireball and shots of Lemoncello) Good times for ALL!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Of course Cooper's is one of the gold standards, but it's a helluva schlepp driving up there unless purchasing mass quantities like you did for your party. So for BBQ within a reasonable distance, it's either Opie's or It's All Good. Opie's is a couple miles further but better than IAG, which I find only acceptable but also overpriced. And the corn pudding (or whatever it's called) at Opie's is habit-forming. And they make excellent butter beans. So for us, Opie's is the local preference.

Regarding Mexican food, I like the places where you have to speak Spanish to the waitresses, like Taqueria Arandas. But that's probably asking a little much for out here in Spicewood. :cool:

For tacos, the satellite Oli's in the Chevron station is my local favorite, like the Oli's in Round Mountain. Pretty authentic but they're only cooking until 2pm as I recall. Willie's makes an acceptable taco, but breakfast tacos are the lowest common denominator, strictly entry level, for Mexican food IMHO. Rosie's Tex Mex has relied on their reputation more than their food for the last couple decades, I think. Photos of Willie and Rusty Wier on the walls only goes so far nowadays.

Marble Falls has an HEB, a Wal-Mart, an Office Max, a Home Depot AND a Lowe's. They draw business from Kingsland (which has HEB), Blanco, JC, Burnet/Buchanan, and Spicewood. And Lakes Marble Falls and LBJ. And the town's growing like a hackberry tree. Why not an Academy?

Oh, and Marble Falls has the New Orleans Seafood restaurant... now THEM'S good eatin'. :secret:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just back from tryin Ernie's on the Lake. It used to be Carlos and Charlie's. Not bad for bar food. I had Fajita Beef Taco Salad and the wife had fish tacos. Lake looks great FULL!!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Cooper's in Llano for 30 people and it was fantastic. 10 lbs of brisket, 7 lbs of sausage, 1 gallon of beans, potato salad, and coleslaw, 3 gallons of sweet tea, and pickles, onions, jalapenos and bread.
How many thousands of dollars did that cost? Their prices were outrageous last time I was in there

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How many thousands of dollars did that cost? Their prices were outrageous last time I was in there
The price of beef has gone up drastically in the last year or so. You can't find a steak for less than 25-30 bucks worth eating anywhere. If less than that, it probably has "Tony Lama" stamped on the underside of the meat somewhere.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here's a little tip if you're into tacos, with a wide variety and at a great value for what you get.
Check out Tyson's Tacos. Google it. Now my favorite go-to place to go for a full taco meal. Open 24 hours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts