Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wife, daughter and her friend out Sun. afternoon and caught about 15 all-together.  Mine came on senko's, a couple of swimbaits (including one about 6#) and a couple on SB's.   All boaters caught fish.  (I guided mostly and our guest caught the most)  Talked to a lady at the store, and she said they had a "waterdog" tourney yesterday and sold over $1,100 in waterdogs.......I don't have a problem with the dogs...........but,  Sad part was that we saw about a dozen up to 4lbs. that had been filleted and thrown back washed up in the reeds!  Sad what some people do.................

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Buck Im with ya on the cleaning of slot fish........It is

a shame that people will go to such lengths to break

the law. I was out there friday and did great "guiding"

my other half as well. But that was before the all you

can eat buffet of dogs was on.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I sure hate to see water dogs being used. Most of the folks that use these normally do not know the proper way to remove a gullet hooked fish, therefore this leads to a high percentage of fish that are being released to die. I would like to see these bait stores that sale water dogs pass out pamphlets that show folks how to remove these hooks. Since I fish Fayette quite often I witness the mortality rate from folks using these water dogs for bait, and it‘s much higher than one would think. Personally, I would like to these water dogs band from Texas Lakes. I truly believe they cause a lot of damage to our fishery. True anglers do everything in their power to catch and release fish with little to no harm, as where these folks just total mutilate fish while trying to salvage a stupid hook.

I try to hold back my feelings towards this subject, but I just can’t. Band the use of water dogs in Texas..........

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with banding waterdogs, they are doing harm to our fishery. Fayette is a special lake and has great fishing without waterdogs. I have seen mutilated fish lying in the weeds after someone has tried to get the hook out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The probelm with waterdogs are most people dont fish them right. I've used them for fun before and fish it just like a Crig. You need to set the hook as soon as you feel the bite. I've never had hook problems. That being said, outlaw them, they are not good for any fishery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in this "waterdog" tournament. Non of the fish I caught were harmed. this same tourney has been going on for over 20 years, and I can tell you that the people that run this event are very active in bass conservation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've heard of banding pigeons and other birds, but never waterdogs. Perhaps the term being referred to here is "banned", past tense of the word "ban", short for banish.
Shall we ban minnows while we're at it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys,
I certainly wasn't trying to start a "ban" on waterdogs, and if people want to catch fish that's up to them how they do it. I didn't see but a couple of "floaters" whose demise "might" have come from dogs. What I did see was about 12 bass (good size) that had been fileted on the water and floated up on the reeds! That made me MAD!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have few resources such as Fayette Co. in our area. As more and more people fish this lake and others, there certainly exists the possibility for abuse of the resource. I am for banning the use of waterdogs on this lake. From my experience on this lake, banning these baits would not have a negative impact on a fisherman or women. Artificial baits work fine.

In regard to the keeping of slot fish, I have been checked by Game Wardens on this lake many times over the years and I would hope that people that commit this crime are ticketed, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for any confusion, but nobody said the people in this event did anything wrong!!  I only said that I saw about a dozen bass floating that had been fileted.  Due to the location (3 fingers area) - it is obvious that all of these were fileted ON THE WATER!!!  I'm NOT for banning waterdogs at all.....................I have let my wife and kids use one occassionaly as I want them to catch fish and have fun!!  Obvioulsly people have been using "dogs" over there for more than twenty years and the fishery is fine!  I was just commenting on people who break fish and game laws!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.