Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go out there yesterday with the idea of doing a little moon light fishing right. I caught two small dinks around 5 pm, but the water has something weird going on. I think it is some kind of an algae bloom. This stuff was showing up on my graph and it was 20 feet in depth. From surface to 20 feet down I was getting solid readings of a blue with a tad of orange in the mix with no fish under it what so ever. Now I was able to graph fish out in water 40 to 60 feet deep that was under this cloud of what ever it is, but that was it. And the water in a few coves smelt stagnant. Not real sure what is up with this deal but I know it will several weeks before I try to fish this lake again. Or it might be longer than that, I'll have to read a few good reports first before I return.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a possibility. I can understand how this works in the fall with a layer of heavy cool water but I don't get how that would work in the summmer time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hmmm ... them not generating would be cool water compared to the norm I would think.
I guess its different for power plant lakes?

I'd be interested in hearing what you find out

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be in a state where the lake is about to turn over. I read up on this topic a tad, so I kind a understand how it works in the spring or summer time with warm water as the top layer. But I've never seen this on a lake so wide spread. I ran the lake from one end to the other, it was all the same. Weird I'm telling ya.....
There was strong current at the intake, so they are generating. If you hear a boiler running, they are generating and pumping water through the condenser cooling steam back into a liquid. I know this stuff because I use to build these and I also repaired working ones when they had an issue and would trip themselves off line. Boilers are one fire breathing dragon, let me tell ya. It looks like a huge tornado of fire inside one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts