Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After continuous beatings on Lake Austin, I decided to go night fishing on Fayette this weekend. From all accounts, the fish are deep right now and that's what we found. I did a quick review of the Hot Spots map to see what general areas were good this time of year. Of course, in June the column for all spots starts to go bare so there weren't many choices.

Put in at Park Prairie at 6:45 pm on Sat, and made an executive decision to do the exact opposite of the what Hot Spots said we should do. Went directly to the hot water discharge - water temp at the entrance was 107. First cast with a DD-22 (baby bass color) boated a 3 pounder. A couple of casts later, caught a 3.5 pounder. My parter was using a green tiger stripe DD-22 and caught a couple soon after. After about 30 minutes boated this 5.8 pound fish:

photo.jpg

Over the next two hours, until dark we boated 18 fish. The smallest one was about 2.5 pounds, and most were about 3.5 pounds. Caught several over 4 and a couple pushing 5. It got dark, but we kept throwing the DD-22. Caught a couple more before the bite vanished. In just about every case, we got bit when we pounding the bottom with the bait, stopping for a couple of seconds, and then barely twitching it. They were in 10 to 15 feet on steep drop offs on both sides. Got hung with braided line about 6 times, and eventually lost my only 3 baby bass color lures. My other colors didn't work near as well.

At that point we were completed exhausted. We were basically broiling in the heat from the water. I used to think that the hot water must occupy the top portion of the water column, and that fish held underneath it in cooler wather. But I'm not so sure anymore. These fish were very warm. I'd love to know the temp at the bottom, but the current moves so fast you would have to weight down a water temp guage with an anchor to have a prayer of getting it to the bottom. If anyone has ever measured it please let me know.

Oh yeah - the Fayette weatherman needs be fired. Supposed to be 6 mile an hour winds and when we launched it was white capping. This guy never gets it right. I'm not even sure Fayette HAS a weatherman. I think the same person that delivers the mail and waits tables at Joe's does the weather. Actually, Joe's is a good restaurant on the square and you should eat there.

Pulled over by Baffle Dike, took a quick nap, and recouped. Buzzed over to Hog trees (Hot Spots says it decent this time of year) and started worm fishing - no luck. Moved out to Hog Point, saw some fish on the sidefinder, but the wind was a big pain. So we moved on to Butch's flat - first time I've actually fish this spot - and it's true - it's a flat swimming pool with no structure. No luck.

Moved back to Johnny's pond. I didn't figure it would be holding this time of year and it wasn't. Didn't see any fish on the sonar. I have to say that area has really changed over the past year. It seems the reeds were beat down - maybe because the water was high. I'm not sure it was...

Anchored and took another nap. Got up and thought about our next move. Couldn't think of anything so went back to sleep. Woke up and had a brainstorm - we know the fish are in the discharge so let's go back. Tied on a monster weight with my secret weapon this trip. I brought some of those garlic Hawg Craws I get from Jackie at Find Finders Marine. I bought some garlic paint there one time, and painted six of these craws earlier in the week - hence my secret weapon. Put one on my worm rig and headed over to the discharge. Pulled up on the right side of the entrance and tossed it right up to the rocks at the point. Got hit as the current was blowing it out the channel and boated a very nice 3.5 chunk fish. Best looking fish of the trip. Anchored immediately. Actually after 3 attempts finally got the boat anchored in the right position. Nothing... Worm fished laying down on my back for about 30 minutes in the same place. Then moved around the discharge area and couldn't buy another bite. Next move - eased over to the calm side of Baffle Dike and took a nap.

Woke up and decided to try the intake. No luck so we made a smart decision - we got off the lake (around 3:30 am).

Got out of bed around 10:30 am Sun. Went directly to Joe's. Next stop - the discharge. Now it's thunderstorming and raining. The weatherman had said 10 percent chance of rain (on Fri) - now the forecast is 40%. Oh yeah - saw these two tornado's touch down around 10 am from the back yard of the place we were staying. You may have to zoom in to see them.

IMG_0915.JPG

OK - not really tornados but it looks like it. They were really discharge from two the water plant towers. Still - don't get me started on the Fayette weatherman...

Started throwing DD-22's. My partner boated one almost immediately that pushed 5 pounds. Caught 4 more on DD-22's over the next 75 minutes. Broiling again in the discharge... Like the day before, most fished averaged about 3.5 pounds. Our second smartest move of the trip - took off the lake and went home.

I think we're done fishing until September...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I fished it Saturday during the kayak tournament. All my fish came on DD22's and nothing one the trusty worm. Anyway, thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Excellent report, Reelburst! Thanks mucho!! :sign11:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts