Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left house at 6am on this foggy Tuesday morning. I picked up Moonraker and his boat...headed to Fayette County. (Pre-fish my clubs tournament). Arrived at 8am...Went  to back down ramp...boat off trailer. Then could not drive up ramp. Apparently with the 2-3 foot drop in the lake level, I dropped the boat trailer off the end of ramp. So, had to wait for park maintainence to pull me out. Several other boater wanted to help, but no chain (I will pack one from now on)...

So off to fishing. Fayette conditions were 10-15mph winds out of the North. Foggy/Cloudy/misty. Headed to dam rip/raff. Moonraker hooked up with 3 slot bass within 20 minutes. We moved to trees...He caught a few more. I was still skunked. Then moved back to Dam rocks. I caught 2 nice bass on DD-22 (Baby Bass color). Also lost a good one. Also caught a 16.5" Tilapia. Moved to intake..Caught one on DD-22. Moved back to trees. No other hookups. Water temp was 60 degrees, on main lake. Other fisherman reported slow fishing. BIVI and Ken were out there too. They caught bass on carolina rigs to 3lbs. Same as us, but I only caught 3ea 2-3lbers. Moonraker caught 5-6...

Then at noontime, put the boat on trailer and headed to Bastrop. After lunch, launched at North Shore at 2pm. Using lipless cranks, I hooked up along eel grass shorelines. Water temp was 63 degrees...cloudy conditions with 10 mph Northerly winds. Moonraker had problems with catching until switching to fluke and lipless. I caught bass to 3lbs. Moonraker lost a 4lber on fluke, in less than a foot of water. I caught a 12" Gizzard Shad on crank. End of day, caught over 25 slot fish...A couple of the 13.75" bass I weighted were 2.3lbs...Big unders!...

Ran into BIVI and Ken (on Bastrop) and they too were catching bass to 3lbs.

Bastrop pattern on lipless is going strong in 5-8 feet of water, edges of eel grass. Make sure lure is cranked thru grass. If your lure does not clip or hit grass, you will not get bit. I lost several nice fish, due to the fish swipping the lure, not inhaling it...The bass should be moving up shallow to spawn. Reports from other fisherman, reported bass to 5.5lbs near timber on plastics...

Robert

Some pics I will post on Tilapia, Gizzard shad and biggest bass...soon.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,
I found this same question on a earlier post...Noel works at Fayette County Power plant and here was his answer:
"The lake is 2 foot below normal level (390'). 388' is the new winter level, so this will be the norm every winter now" The river pumps will eventually start back up I guess later or near springtime...I hope.

Here is a statement from TPWD:
"Water in the reservoir is maintained at a near-constant level (1-2 ft annual fluctuation)."

I feel like it is 2-3 feet low, based on the water level line on the rocks along the dam. Other fisherman complained that the Oak Thicket ramp is worse...Be carefull!

·
Registered
239 Posts
10232C2527301D107575420 said:
Scott,
I found this same question on a earlier post...Noel works at Fayette County Power plant and here was his answer:
"The lake is 2 foot below normal level (390'). 388' is the new winter level, so this will be the norm every winter now" The river pumps will eventually start back up I guess later or near springtime...I hope.

Here is a statement from TPWD:
"Water in the reservoir is maintained at a near-constant level (1-2 ft annual fluctuation)."

I feel like it is 2-3 feet low, based on the water level line on the rocks along the dam. Other fisherman complained that the Oak Thicket ramp is worse...Be carefull!
Just FYI...
Lake is 389.5' right now. The river pumps are not running right now.

Noel

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Noel...

I wish I would of taken a picture of the water level line along the Dam rocks...It sure did look lower...But you work there and I believe you.

I heard that red worms in timber was working for bass to 3lbs.

I will be back, on full moon night...Feb 27th...Cannot wait to try it at night!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My wife and I know first hand what can happen on that ramp. One year ago wife backed me to the water and went to pull out only to have the truck slide back. Panic set in with the wife and by the time I beached the boat there was no saving the truck. I traded places with her and she dog paddles towards the shore as the trailer slides off the ramp and sticks into the clay. Water was just over the front seat at this point. I looked up to see my wife reach the waters edge on the ramp and she stands up and looks back at me. Feet go out from under her and she breaks her hip. True story.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
37636E6B7467020 said:
My wife and I know first hand what can happen on that ramp. One year ago wife backed me to the water and went to pull out only to have the truck slide back. Panic set in with the wife and by the time I beached the boat there was no saving the truck. I traded places with her and she dog paddles towards the shore as the trailer slides off the ramp and sticks into the clay. Water was just over the front seat at this point. I looked up to see my wife reach the waters edge on the ramp and she stands up and looks back at me. Feet go out from under her and she breaks her hip. True story.
Dang!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
5D6E61686A7D505D38380F0 said:
Thanks Noel...

I wish I would of taken a picture of the water level line along the Dam rocks...It sure did look lower...But you work there and I believe you.

I heard that red worms in timber was working for bass to 3lbs.

I will be back, on full moon night...Feb 27th...Cannot wait to try it at night!
Heres a good website that shows some levels including Fayette ..
http://www.lcra.org/water/conditions/lower_basin.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've seen my share of folks slide in also. How hard would it be for them to power wash/scrub the ends of the ramps when there is a draw down or when they get slick dangerous? Seems like a no-brainer and would protect them legally. Just plain silly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
4740485F424348542D0 said:
I've seen my share of folks slide in also. How hard would it be for them to power wash/scrub the ends of the ramps when there is a draw down or when they get slick dangerous? Seems like a no-brainer and would protect them legally.  Just plain silly.
I've seen the maintenance guy spray some bleach on the ramp over at Oak Thicket ramp but not at Park Prairie....not sure it helped but they were trying. They should try to pressure wash it and spray it with bleach.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok, so I went bass fishing for the first time in at least a year just to see if I could still throw a rod.  All that vertical jigging on Buch made me a bit rusty   :).  All in all Ken and I boated some nice fish between Fayette and Strop.  Probably had 15 or so between us total between the 2 lakes.  Bastrop did look low based on the boat dock and the low water line on the rocks.  

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Brooks, Congrats on the catching! I was crusing next to ya'll for a while on HWY 71 yesterday evening (assuming that was ya'll in a toyota 4 runner towing an aluminum Ranger) I had to show property yesterday afternoon in Bastrop. had no idea ya'll were people I knew. Glad ya'll got to rip some lips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.