Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The early morning top water bite was okay. Then it just shut down around 9 or 10 am. We then started chasing the schoolies out in the middle of the lake. These schools are so spread out that it makes it hard to fish, but we managed to pick up a few. I was throwing a yellow magic with success and my uncle was throwing a Rattling chug bug with success as well. About noon time I was fishing solo and looking for a bite along the reeds or rip rap with T/R plastic with little to no success.  I even threw a little top water baits around the grass and I threw crank baits all over as well. So I cranked up the big motor and head on over to three fingers. As I am approaching this area there are about six boats already floating around looking for schoolies. So I idled on through to the back of the middle cove where I saw several schools working the surface. I changed out my top water bait to a Spit’ n image and the hook up was on. The schooling action got bigger and better as the day went on. From about five to seven the action was hot to trot. Schoolies were popping up all over the place. The Spit’n image allowed me to chunk this thing about twenty yards further than the yellow magic bait. The key was not to get all excited and work the bait to fast. As long as I worked it slow walking the dog, the bite was on. These schoolies were in the 2 to 3 pound range. I ended up with something like 25 fish for the day. Two and three pound fish, so it wasn’t too bad of a day.

RangerR77 and J-Jam where out there too. They also had a good day.
I have no photos of fish but I did take a few pictures of us all out there looking for schoolies.

This is my uncle who has taught me a lot about bass fishing. To this day, I still have more fun fishing with him than I do any one else. He and I cut up and laugh most of time while we are out on the water.

Here’s Steve looking for his next bite to surface.

Here is Robert and Joe looking for their next bite as well. The water at this time is almost to calm for the schoolies to even surface.

This is the bait and the bait color that produced the best bite on the schoolies for me.
Spit’n image # 67

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Good pics and good tips. Great post! While drifting and waiting, let a 3" Sluggo drift behind the boat. You might be surprised at the results.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know Fayette fish; therefore I’m not hanging a rod over the side with a hook on it with out the rod being in my hand. I had a fish pull one in the lake not three months a go. Plus there was too much loose grass floating on top of the water to drag anything.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
;D ;D

Thanks Doug for coming out and hanging with us!

The bite was just AWESOME on the "Yellow Magic" topwater lure.

Hard to imagine any better bite, then having a 5lber grab your topwater right at the boat...FUN TIMES, for Sure! ;D

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robert, did you guys ever get a chance to try out those  Spit'Nimages? They work great along the reeds and in the timber area too.

Joe, it was nice to meet you.  Maybe when the water temp cools down a little we can all get back out there and do a little more fun fishing when the shore line bite goes ballistic. This should begin to occur around the middle of November.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Spit'Nimages
Doug, we fished on Sunday against the reeds with Yellow Magic topwaters. Then moved to the open water, looking for surface feeding bass. Caught only one 3.5lber on the Spit'Nimage. Then left and went home. Wind got up and made it interesting on the main lake. Not too many boats on the lake, after the wind!

R

· Registered
476 Posts
fishytx said:
Robert, did you guys ever get a chance to try out those  Spit'Nimages? They work great along the reeds and in the timber area too.

Joe, it was nice to meet you.  Maybe when the water temp cools down a little we can all get back out there and do a little more fun fishing when the shore line bite goes ballistic. This should begin to occur around the middle of November.
It was nice to meet you as well. I had a great time out there and look forward to going back

· Registered
10,147 Posts
The pic you took of us shows Joe (Back of boat) fishing with a LONG-Distance casting Rod...Hang time on the 3/4oz spoon, was in-sane. He caught a big bass about 100 yards out. ;D

Where was my video camera when I needed it.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tell ya what, that schooling action in three fingers was awesome. I can't count how many times I didn't know which set of schoolies to throw at. I had em under my boat, in front of the boat and on both sides. I just kind a looked to see which blow up held the bigger fish then chuncked to it. I should have at least stayed out there till dark. Oh well, heck I caught my share and then some. It was a blast. I may try to get back out there one day during the week this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.