Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time: 5:45am-3pm
Temp: 77 at launch time and 90 something at 3pm
Water Temp: 88 at launch and 101 at 3pm
Winds: 2-5mph
Water: stained

Started out the morning in 3-Fingers. Top Water bite was good until about 7:30am. Caught 3 right away with the biggest being 22". After the TW bite shut down, I started hammering the trees with a jig....no luck. Switched to a 10" worm......no luck. Started throwing a natural shad SB against the reeds......no luck. I could hear the fish busting in the reeds.....but I could not get to them. I decided to throw a WW as far back into the reeds as I could just to see what would happen. BAMMM....get bit and it takes almost 20 minutes to get the fish out of the reeds! HAHA I decided to try this again and immediately got bit again. The problem with this approach was if you didn't get bit, you almost certainly got hung up and either ruined the entire stretch of bank getting unstuck, or broke off. I caught 5 fish using this technique.....and burned through close to 40 senko's. It started getting HOT, so I paddled over to the dam to see if anything was going on. I caught 2 more on a CB. All in all not a bad day. 10 fish total with best 5 going 95.5". Most all fish were in the 18-19" range and healthy. I stopped taking pics because all the fish looked the same.

The highlight of the trip was the loch-ness monster I hooked into and broke me off. I was about 500 yards off the center of the dam and my graph blew up with fish. I was in 40+ FOW and the fish were stacked from 15-25ft. The pic's below are terrible and was on the tail end of the school. I ran a CB in tilapia color right through the ball of fish and instantly my rod bowed over and it started stripping drag. I went to grab the rod and then BAM! Broke off..... I tied another CB on and went through the school again and once again I get a massive drag run and then get broken off......20lb braid. I am guessing it was a school of hybrids? I guess I will string a rod with 40lb Braid and go try again this weekend. :lol:

Was another great day out on Fayette.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
5C6F60696B7C515C39390E0 said:
NO HYBRIDS in Fayette.. :p

However the lake record was 65.25lbs buffalo carp caught on a DD-22...So, it might of been schooling carp!
I was also thinking maybe a jumbo yellow cat.  We have caught some nice ones on juglines there, and also a couple on crankbaits.

Thanks for posting an awesome report and pics!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Man I love going to Fayette. Nice catch especially in the Kayak. I can only stay in a Kayak for only three hours max or my back starts hurting. Getting older and the Army aged me over the last three deployments.

I am planning a trip to Fayette with my Father soon. I always catch fish and have a great time. It is nice to fish grass and cover instead of fishing the rock bluffs of LT in 50 ft of water.

Great Report..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
597F6C7B647E65686C617E0D0 said:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day.

What's that bamboo tied to your yak?
That would be my stake-out stick for shallow water. Instead of throwing my anchor out and disturbing the water, it's much easier to jam the bamboo into the mud and hook it to my anchor trolly. It's about 9ft long with about 6ft of rope and a caribiner. The good thing about bamboo is it's cheap, strong and easy to come by!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
73756E606062753631070 said:
I can only stay in a Kayak for only three hours max or my back starts hurting.  Getting older and the Army aged me over the last three deployments.

That is why I stand and fish about 90% of the time I am in it. Usually the only seat time I have is paddling between spots or changing rods/baits/beers! Usually I keep my paddle on deck between my legs and use it to steer between casts if needed while standing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.