Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man the lake was on fire today. I caught somewhere around fifty bass in six hours. Now for the good part, all on top water.
Had one six, two fives, and a bunch of three's. I mean the bite was on.

On the water by 12:30 and off by 6:30.

They got 5 inches of rain there last night, and when I got up this morning the radar showed that it was still raining in Lagrange so I stayed home till I saw it had all cleared. The water was pretty calm, and fish were feeding on the surface most of the day, shallow or deep.

Great day on the water, that's for sure.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Let me tell you about that rain! We had a kayak fishing tourny out there that was supposed to 6:30-2:30. When I woke up at 5am in the hotel, weather was reporting 2-4" had already fallen and another 2-4" was expected! We pushed back the launch until 8am and hung around in the rain in the parkinglot. At launch, it was still raining.......and continued to rain solid for about 2 hours. It was cold, wet and miserable. To add to it, when the rain finally slowed, the wind kicked in and the lightening started up again. I think this morning my fingers, toes and everything else is just starting to dry out finally!!

With that being said.....fishing was GREAT. New club record was set with a stringer of 103.5" being turned in, and several people were reporting more fish than they could count. It was a great day on the water for sure. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was fishing by the guy that caught the five pound fish on a spinner bait.

Did he get BB?

In fact, he started to leave the area and I had told him that he was fishing in a good place because I normally pull out a five to six pound fish here. So he stayed around a little longer and boom, five pound fish. I think he told another guy that this was his PB out of a yak, so they took a few pics.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
595A48485D5A554F5A484F52583B0 said:
Gotta love it when the ntopwater bite is on. Sounds like you had a blast doug. Thanks for sharing :cool:

Jim
Jim, you would have had to been there to understand how awesome it was. I can't remeber a time on this lake where the top water bite was ever like this. I could thorw to the left or the right side of the boat and stright in front for that matter, and it was fish on.

I don't know why I'm not back out there as we speak.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4A796A620B0 said:
Let me tell you about that rain!  We had a kayak fishing tourny out there that was supposed to 6:30-2:30.  When I woke up at 5am in the hotel, weather was reporting 2-4" had already fallen and another 2-4" was expected!  We pushed back the launch until 8am and hung around in the rain in the parkinglot.  At launch, it was still raining.......and continued  to rain solid for about 2 hours.  It was cold, wet and miserable.  To add to it, when the rain finally slowed, the wind kicked in and the lightening started up again.  I think this morning my fingers, toes and everything else is just starting to dry out finally!!

With that being said.....fishing was GREAT.  New club record was set with a stringer of 103.5" being turned in, and several people were reporting more fish than they could count.  It was a great day on the water for sure.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
If you could post up a report on y'alls tournament, that would be great. I would like to see the results. Most of the guys I talked to in their yaks were catching some fish.

I also gave every angler in yaks the right of way when ever I came accross one. Just guessing, there must have been around twenty to thirty of you all fishing this T.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
4F4C5442584E4C4758432D0 said:
congrats on a great day, what part of the lake did you fish, I have yet to hit the top water bite and have been there several times over the past few weeks.
I keep a top water bait rod on my boat deck at all the times. When I see a place that looks like it might have a staging fish, then I’ll pick it up and toss it in there. I don’t see to many other anglers throwing a top water bait after the sun has come up, but I’ll throw one any time of the day. I catch more feeding fish up shallow on this than I do on anything else.

You asked for the area in which I’m catching these fish on a top water bait right? So I’m going to tell you where, but you’re going to think I’m full of crap and I’m not telling the truth ok. On Fayette Lake, you can catch fish on a top water bait on every square inch of shore line. Now there are cretin areas where I’ve found a few bigger fish that I’m not willing to reveal, but that’s a no brainier.

Bastrop Lake is the same way. A person can catch fish on a top water baits over there all day long too.

The fish hunker down in the grass waiting to ambush bait fish. Along comes your top water bait that you are mimicking as an injured bait fish and the next thing you know, BAMB, fish on. It’s that easy. Plus the top water bait makes so much commotion, that it attracts fish from a longer distance. I see fish bumping the reeds as they come out to investigate it. When you see this, then slow your presentation down and get ready to for the blow up, because it’s coming soon.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats up Rick. It’s good to see ya on this site.

Man, that George Bush area hasn’t been producing any decent fish in the past couple of years now. The lake changes all the time. It’s hard to keep up with where the bigger fish are feeding, but I guess that‘s why it‘s called fishing.

I tell ya what though, after fishing Fayette yesterday in the heat, I’m ready to start fishing this lake in the late afternoon and on into the night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.