Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Fayette Saturday.

8:15 am to 3:00 pm
temp 55 - 65
water temp 62-70
pressure - 30.2 in Hg
wind 3-8 out of the SE
Sunny early, clouds in afternoon

Got on the water at about 8:15. Caught 7 (best 5 about 15 lbs) by 8:45 flipping a jig in the reeds. After that, things seemed to slow way down. Caught one about 2 lbs fishing a carolina rig in about 28 feet on a ledge. Tried cranking the dam with a DD22, but didn't have any luck. Saw some folks catching fish on the dam, but didn't see anything of any size. Went back to flipping the reeds and caught 2 more. I don't know how the time flew by so quickly. It didn't seem like we hit that many spots.

Was a slower day for me than the last few weeks, but I know someone else found them.

· Registered
263 Posts
I fished out there Friday all day. Caught 3 on a spinner bait in 3-8 ft range and about 15 flipping back pockets in the reed beds in less than 2 ft. Would be nice if they'd give back that 2 ft of water that the lake is low, would make for many more stretches of fishable reed beds.

· Registered
239 Posts
0F3C333A382F020F6A6A5D0 said:
Would be nice if they'd give back that 2 ft of water that the lake is low
I heard at my bass club meeting last night, that it was the new lake level? so another words...what we think is low...is now the normal lake level.

Can anyone confirm this?
The new WINTER level is 388', which right now it is...389.09'
The summertime level is still 392'. Once the lake starts warming up you should see the level begin to rise.
I don't like it anymore than y'all do but I can't do anything about it so I don't complain too much....
Noel

· Registered
263 Posts
I don't understand the logic, but ok. Seems to me that with all the rain that we've been getting that you might retain a little extra for when the evaporation monster kicks in, rather than have to start pumping water in that much sooner.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
They don’t drain the lake at all. It’s just a new level that they keep it at during the cooler weather months. When the level goes down due to evaporation, then they turn on the river pumps to put water back in it.
I’m just thankful that we are allowed to fish this lake. Heck, if they ever chose to close it down, all they have to do is lock the gates, case closed. It’s their lake, and they can do what ever they want with it. They don’t make a profit from anglers who fish out there. I heard that they receive just about enough revenue from anglers to brake even on the expense of the upkeep of both parks. Therefore I’m just glad that we can still fish on this lake.

· Registered
239 Posts
252B2A232E3A28273B2A3D4F0 said:
I don't understand the logic, but ok.  Seems to me that with all the rain that we've been getting that you might retain a little extra for when the evaporation monster kicks in, rather than have to start pumping water in that much sooner.
JD, to understand the logic you have to understand the process. We don't pump water out of the lake....we have no way to. The only way water can leave this lake is through the overflow by the dam, which isnt happening, or by evaporation. Natural evaporation is where the water is going....period. We will start the river pumps when and only when the lake starts getting hot or the level falls below a predetermined level. The reason we start the pumps when the lake gets hot is because this water is what we use to cool equipment and run it through our condensors. When the water is hot we have a hard time keeping everything cool in the plant equipment wise. Another reason we use the river pumps is we are regulated to a certain temperature in our discharge canal so we pump water in to help with that.
So, this is how we do it.......

Noel

· Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I have heard rumors over the years about building a second lake due to the high temp the lake has hit over the last few years. I guess more surface area equals more water equals cooler temps.?? Any chance this will happen sooner rather than later or at all? Appears to be a lot of drilling going on around the lake so the land may be more valuable for that.

· Registered
239 Posts
5D656B6B7A6B7C51446166600E0 said:
Thanks for the info.
I have heard rumors over the years about building a second lake due to the high temp the lake has hit over the last few years. I guess more surface area equals more water equals cooler temps.?? Any chance this will happen sooner rather than later or at all? Appears to be a lot of drilling going on around the lake so the land may be more valuable for that.
Theres been talk of a unit 4 and if they do that they will have to add on to the lake.....but this has been rumored since I started there 10 yrs ago. With the lovely president and his administration we have in office right now and all the h*ll they are giving coal fired power plants....I dont see it happening. Also, the cost to build on to the lake has, I think, tripled since Fayette was initially dug. If they would have done it way back when they would have been way, way ahead of the game but hindsight is 20/20 i guess.
I guess its still a possibility but with all the other options, i.e. gas, hydro, cogen plants, that are out there now that have alot less red tape to go through, I dont see it personally. I hope they prove me wrong though!!!!

Noel

· Registered
10,147 Posts
All good information!

Off topic..but why does the map people call it Cedar Creek Reservoir instead of Fayette County Lake?

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/texas/fayette/fayetteville/cedar-creek-reservoir/

UPDATE:
Fayette County Reservoir is a power station cooling reservoir on Cedar Creek in the Colorado River basin, 10 miles (16 km) east of LaGrange, Texas. The reservoir was created in 1978 when a dam was built on the creek to provide a cooling pond for the Fayette Power Project which provides electrical generation to Fayette County and surrounding areas. The dam, lake, and power plant are managed by the Lower Colorado River Authority. The lake is also used for recreational purposes, especially fishing. Fayette County Reservoir is also known as Lake Fayette. Fayette County Reservoir has been stocked with species of fish intended to improve the utility of the reservoir for recreational fishing. Fish present in Fayette County Reservoir include catfish, largemouth bass, and sunfish. Boating and fishing are both popular recreational uses of the lake. TRIVIA Lake Fayette used to be the site of a small town called Beagle which was famous for its pickles. Outlines of houses may be visivle on fish...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.