Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in at Park Prairie around 8am and headed to flooded timber. Winds were tough to 25 at times, water temp 65deg and stained. We caught around 25 good sized fish to around 4lbs. Most came in 10ft or less, almost all were spawned out females. Too bad cause a few would have gone 6lbs a week ago. Got 1 nice cat too.
A good time was had by all..

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skeeter, all fish were caught on black salties that have been in my livewell since march 10. Cheating I know but we were freelining mostly so we worked a bit..  I had a box of them  delivered to my lodge in east texas and we just couldn't use them all. Not one died over that time, just an amazing bait.  Idid change watera few times and left the bubbles on....

Cajun, most fish were caught in 3 fingers area holding close to structure..

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't usually either but we needed to get rid of those suckers. Actually they probably work as well as waterdogs and are much cheaper. I've used both...

You can have the salties shipped to wherever you're fishing, about $100 for 16 to 18 dozen 2 to 4 inch baits. Did not have 1 dead salty in the box. Striper eat them too. They will stay alive in salt water for a while as well and trout and reds will eat them.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Dez,
At least you caught and had a great time....If spending the time to travel that far in a day, you better catch something....

Nice Report!

I might have to take my motorhome to Oak Thicket and camp a few days/fish , too...let me know if you want to go....My MH can sleep 4 adults in 4 separate beds..LOL. Just you have to provide the boat

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That my friend is a deal. Let's get a plan.. The post spawn bite is on right now and we saw several good fights with decent fish go on around us as well. Not sure why, and you may have some insight, but these fish really give a heck of a fight at this time on Fayette.. The bite was aggressive as well, which always makes for a good time. There is probably another month of really exciting fishing there and then I will look to the coast for the hot bite..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems like the Fayette fish are always mad and fight like hell. Must be the warm water.
We fished yesterday in the wind. We ended up with 29 but had to move around a bit more than usual. Big bass was a 5.4 (no pictures). Bite seemed to get better after lunch, maybe something to do with the full moon. Several of the fish we caught on traps and cranks were hooked outside the mouth, so they were just swipping at it. Had several good bites but never got the hook set. Overall, a few fish on traps and cranks, but best bites remained on wacky worms (watermelon) or c-rigs (pumpkin) in 3-6' of water. Couldn't fish main lake points very well so stayed close to the timber South of Hog Pt.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
6641565E41564F4156240 said:
I will be there April 8-11 y'all should go then!!   :)

I'll be in west TX that weekend, but am getting the Fayette itch sumpin feerus!  Esp. after seeing your pics Dez.  Here are some of me and Michael on Fayette a few years back (last time I was at Fayette), caught mostly by the cedars and tank dam next to Hog point (watermelon gold flake brush hog, or green lizard, can't remember):

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, You are raising that boy right....I have to say that the memories of days on the water with my Dad catching fish are forever at the front of my mind and formitive in many ways....

Heading to Buch for a few days thru April 12 but I'd be up for a fayette trip in a few weeks, overnight stay maybe?????

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
After seeing those pics of young Michael and his dad....I am hooking the boat up and going NOW........

But I have to work on Thursday...Dang...Spoiled my trip..

Lets get a trip together and go sometime...All is welcome...but lets try soon before the vacationers start!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.