Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I asked a ’yakker at Pflugerville if he knew if Decker was open. He told me, sure there were anglers on the water right then. Todd and I pulled up to a closed Decker gate at 6:00 AM. No one else was there. We waited a couple minutes and another boater showed up. He was as perplexed as we were. We waited til 6:15 then moved on to Plan B: Bastrop.

We pulled up to a closed gate at South Shore Park. C’mon, really? Todd deftly 180’d his rig on the country two lane. As we drove past, a park worker was opening the gate for another worker. We asked if the North Shore Park was open. Nope, so much for Plans B and C. I suggested Travis for Plan D. Todd said we’re going to Fayette.

We launched Todd’s Stratos at 8 AM from Park Prairie. We started at the discharge, where the only other boat there left as we pulled up. There were lots of boats on the lake, but we had the discharge to ourselves. I slow rolled the chatterbait along the channel edge and hooked up with an egg-laden chunk. A couple minutes later, Todd’s rod bent double and he got a serious look on his face. I quickly reeled in and moved forward to assist. I got a good chuckle but Todd was of course disappointed that his “big’un” was a foul hooked Tilapia.

We left the discharge and motored over to our guaranteed main lake honey hole. We were getting bit on every cast, a mixed bag of cutie-pies and fun fish. I set down my drop-shot rod and cast out TR 12” ribbon tail in hopes of getting a good’un. Nothing was touching the big worm and Todd was running away with the fish count. The wind was blowing really hard now from the SE and we decided to go hit up some timber in a protected cove. That didn’t work out, so we went back to the breakwater and Todd got one on drop-shot and I missed one. Back to the honey hole to wrap up the day. The wind eased a bit and we got some more fun fish to the boat.

Back at the ramp, some anglers were showing off their catch for bragging rights. One was holding a couple of two pounders. The other pulled out what looked to be a five and a couple of twos. We caught close to forty but nothing big. Not bad for Plan D. Off at 2PM.

We entertained ourselves on the drive back on 71 calling out the obvious remnants of last week’s automotive carnage. “Car parts!” “Tire tracks!” “Front clip!” “Guard rail!” and so on. I’m glad the weather allowed us to fish without my extremities going numb. Have a great week, y’all!
A98A40EA-FAEF-4775-927F-E44DE945C1CA.jpeg 63D44F9A-4826-4080-AA1F-90E79FBF44C4.jpeg F597DCF6-A762-4DB1-A0FA-9F62D9930EA0.jpeg

·
Registered
131 Posts
looks like fun. why were the other lakes closed? did you ever find out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awesome report guys. I admire your perseverance. I drove out to Cedar Breaks Park on Georgetown this afternoon just to see if anyone was fishing. The sign on the gate house said closed because of storm damage that was hazardous. I'm going somewhere Tuesday. Guess I'll need to check to see what's open.

·
Registered
345 Posts
looks like fun. why were the other lakes closed? did you ever find out?
Per Jeremy, Decker smelled of raw sewage even from the locked gate.

Bastrop the lady was a little short with her "Parks Closed" statement so I didn't even bother with trying to gather more information.

I couldn't find anything online as to the reason for the park closures. Hopefully they get their issues worked out and next weekend plan A is open and ready to be fished.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Great trip Jeremy. Glad you guys were able to get out on the water and enjoy catching some fish. We just got power back last night and still working on repairing all the holes in the pipes to get water. Wanted to go wet a line so bad yesterday but momma would have none of it without water flowing from our taps. Oh well - living through Jeremy and Todd once more.

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I said it looked to be a five, but I was a couple hundred feet away. Musta been closer to nine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts