Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got on the water around 11:00 am and there were boats everywhere. So I started out on areas that I normal do not fish, graphed a lot of fish, but I couldn’t find any takers. As time went on, I found this same situation to stand true through out the entire lake. What few top water bites I had, it looked like the fish were attacking the bait with their mouth closed. I know that sounds weird, therefore I almost I didn’t post this, but every fish knocked the bait out of the water and not one of them ever had their mouth open. It was like they were head butting the bait and that was it.

Any how, I was really getting my butt kicked on Fayette and I also thought I was about to witness my very first skunk on this lake. But I moved back into the discharge area where I had perversely seen some active fish feeding and began throwing everything but the kitchen sink with still no takers. Then I moved on up into the discharge channel, and I started throwing plastic with a heaver weight up against the rip rap allowing it to kind of roll off the rocks down stream in the current.  Now I’m on a bite. I ended up with around 10 or 12 fish in the two pound range. I had one that was bumping real close to the three pound range, but that was it.

One other thing that I noticed first thing when I got on the water was the fact that the bait fish were feeding on the surface. They were all over the lake, deep, shallow, around the grass, timber areas and so forth. Every time I see this, I know that the bite is going to be very slow and tough. I have yet to figure out what causes this. I’m not sure if it’s due to a barometric change, or the moon phase, but I see it on numerous occasions through out the calendar year. Some times it will last for a few hours, and then some times it may last for a long time like it did the other day on Fayette. But never the less, when ever you see this occurring on a lake, river or what ever, then get ready for a very, very slow day of catching because the fish bite is off. I have also had situations where I’m on a really good bite, and all of sudden, the bite turns off as if someone had reached up on the wall and flipped the light switch to the off position.  Minutes later, the bait fish start surfacing and feeding on algae, small insects, and so forth, plus they drift further away from the shore line while doing so. And the bite is just flat dead. If someone else would like to share their thoughts on this issue, feel free to do so. My ears are open.

Sorry, no more picks for awhile. My camera went south on me on Christmas Eve night of all things. But I did call Canon the other day and I explained to them what my camera was doing and they offered to fix it for free.  It really makes a person feel good when someone stands behind their product, or does me any how.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report Fishy. I have not noticed that phenomenon or never put the two together. I will keep that in mind in the future to see if I notice the same. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have seen the bait act like that around the dam out there, but didn't notice any ill effect on my fishing. As a matter of fact the best trip I've ever had out there was on a day where we saw alot of bait chasing the fresh hatch of bugs all over the surface. We had no luck in the shallows and only stuck a few along the dam, but once we started fishing off shore stuff it was on.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also posted this on a different fishing web site and here is another answer I got that makes pretty good since. Therefore, next time I see this going on I’ll be sure to pay closer attention to what the bait fish may be really doing. As you can see, this guy claims to catch a lot of fish during this time as well. Shoot, maybe I just wasn’t throwing what the fish were looking for, who knows.

[highlight](Quote)
Doug,
I think what you’re seeing is the baitfish spawning instead of feeding. They spawn by "flicking" on the surface as opposed to in a bed like we see other fish do. They do this when the surface temp gets to some magic number... and several times a year.
I have seen this time and time again and, with me anyhow, I've caught em' pretty good when I see it.[/highlight]

McToon, you hit the nail on the head with your reply my friend. That’s how I feel about this as well.
[highlight]I've seen that as well.  It's like the bait fish have a free pass and they know it.  They're not schooled up for protection and kind of mindlessly laze around.[/highlight]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.