Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justin (JSFEngine aka offical tow boat and rescue driver of FOM) and I decided to try Fayette.  It was his first time on the lake and my first time in over a year.  We pulled into Oak Thicket right at 6:15, fired up the boat and headed out.  About 3 minutes into our cold 40mph run, the motor made a strange knocking sound and then died.  I had flashbacks of all the motors that have popped lately and started to worry a little.  Needless to say we were on the trolling motor or idle the rest of the day....I find out tomorrow what the damage is.

Anyways, we decided to try to make the best of it, even with the wind at a steady clip out of the south.  (So much for light and variable)

Water temp was 71-81 depending on where you were and we stuck with Tx Rig snakes all day and then dropshot suspended fish later in the day.  The good news is that we probably ended up with 25-30 fish or so with our broken boat, bad news is that there was not much size to them (biggest 3lbs), so I showed Justin the fine art of holding fish obnoxiously close to the camera, leaving your baits in the pictures and using things like smoke stacks and beer cans for reference for all internet scouters.... ;D  

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the report says light and variable winds at Fayette, batten down the hatches. It always blows like crazy out there. Sounds like you had a great day. I hope the motor turns out ok. I'll be following the post. Maybe you can join me on LA. I've got an extra float tube while my boat is in the shop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear about your motor. Me and One_Mo_cast were there on Tuesday and didn't have near as much luck. Fished almost all day and only boated 5 fish, had a couple come unbuttoned at the boat, and one broke off on the hookset. Biggest was a four lb. fish with a seven lb. head. Good luck with the motor.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I hope your motor problems aren't seriuos. Sounds like you did really well under those circumstances. In fact, I have some terrible luck out there at times with a perfectly running boat.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry to hear that T-dub. Keep us posted on what you find out. We are gonna start a support group in Austin for folks like us, so I'll let you know when/where the first meeting is.

You have to introduce yourself, and then tell what cylinder/cylinders you lost. We'll have plenty of coffee and smokes available.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
TDub,  sorry to hear your fears were confirmed on the #6 cylinder.  Your situation sounded all too familiar.  I was hoping it was a simple fix for you.  

RIP #6 cylinder

This fall has been tough on the ABF motors...post counts in the kayak section may be rising soon.

-Rich

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that the motor never "popped" so I don't have to worry about loose shrapnel and such rattling around in the block so that makes the rebuild a little cheaper, just dropped down to 50PSI on #6.

The bad news is it's still a rebuild and still mucho dinero....

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Hope you are up and running again soon Dub!

Man, fishing out of the back ain't so bad. Just find you a couple of good partners, sit back and let them catch all the fish while you are downing coldies, cut a check here and there and maybe even take home a new boat at the end of the year :p

No boat payment, no insurance, no maintenance, no worries!

·
Registered
541 Posts
With all the horror stories and seeing it personally, I think you have a heck of a good deal rolling there FOB! Even scares me from looking for the new boat (kinda)...

Sorry Dub, but atleast I have a little while where you wont be rolling up in my water! HA!  ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.