Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the bite on Fayette is still on. My partner and I boated 57 fish in all, and we managed to catch a few in the four pound range. Our best bite was in shallow waters. The fish are up close to the bank hunkered down in the grass just waiting for a dumb bait fish to adventure out just far enough to only be gulped up.  You can see some of the bass if you look hard enough for them, so not all were real well hid. Some bass were in less than a foot of water. But I would give the bite on Fayette a big thumbs up right now. It will only continue to get better as the water temp continues to drop.

Tight lines for now and I hope to see ya on the water soon.
Doug

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am thinking of heading out there next week.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5360737B120 said:
What were you throwing against the reeds to entice them out?
Just about anything would work. If it moved, they would hit it.

We did fish deep a couple of times, but the bite was very slow and it was like one here and one there, so we stayed with what was working best, which was shallow. Even after the sun was up over haed, the shallow bite was still on fire.
;) ;)

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We should have taken a few pics, but we didn't. I only like to take pictures of five pound or greater fish. Plus the action was so fast in some areas, we didn't want to stop long enough to get a snap shot. We had a few double hook ups, but it was like he was unhookinh his while I was reeling one in. So we neevr had two in the boat at the same time, but two fish were hooked up. The four pound fish we caught we did take the time to weigh them, but that was about it.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3D282F3C3C2E3F39325A0 said:
good to hear, i'll be down there this weekend, hopefully I'll get some pics.
Word of advice, if you're not on a bite, don't stay around, move till you locate a bite. Then be sure to return that area in about thirty minutes because they will be right back in there feeding. But it is best to have about three good spots to fish. You can load up on some fish very quickly that way.
The small fish are mixed in with the bigger fish, so keep searching till you find them.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
It was fun and well worth a Fayette bug bath Doug. Glad we went the line in the water route without the mug shots. When there in the mood like that all you want to do is unhook and repeat as quick as possible.

· Registered
45 Posts
7D726873626F631B0 said:
Word of advice, if you're not on a bite, don't stay around, move till you locate a bite. Then be sure to return that area in about thirty minutes because they will be right back in there feeding. But it is best to have about three good spots to fish. You can load up on some fish very quickly that way.
The small fish are mixed in with the bigger fish, so keep searching till you find them.
Unfortunately I do not own a boat :-[ , so I get my choice of the docks until my savings account is fat enough....

Good to know for future trips though. :)

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Hey Doug.....

Just curious about the water conditions/structure in surrounding areas where y'all were bring them in with those numbers. What was the depth at the reeds? Was there grass near by in addition to the reeds? Was there close access to deeper water? I'm not looking for you to give up your sweet spots, just looking for info to be able to put pieces of the puzzle together for this summer to fall pattern. I couldn't get a bite on the outside of the reeds Wednesday......I had to throw deep into them to get bit. Thanks

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1625363E570 said:
Hey Doug.....

Just curious about the water conditions/structure in surrounding areas where y'all were bring them in with those numbers.  What was the depth at the reeds?  Was there grass near by in addition to the reeds?  Was there close access to deeper water?  I'm not looking for you to give up your sweet spots, just looking for info to be able to put pieces of the puzzle together for this summer to fall pattern.  I couldn't get a bite on the outside of the reeds Wednesday......I had to throw deep into them to get bit.   Thanks
To answer your question to summer to fall, look for the fish in the drop offs near deep grass lines. (6 to 12 FOW) There are plenty of fish locked on to these areas right now. As far as giving up where the fast bite is, that I won’t reveal. I only found a couple of areas that really produced that cast and catch fast action. I hope they're still there on my next trip out there. But this lake has been changing from week to week pretty fast. My little hot spot that was producing five pound fish from a week a go is now dead, so it's really a cat and mouse game out there right now. I even took the time to search for the five to seven pound fish, but in the process we found some three and four pound fish that kept us busy, so we stayed with those.  I’ll take a good number of three to four pound fish over a couple of fives any day. Those are fun to catch and fishing is all about having a good time, or it is to me anyways, so we stayed on that fast action of 3 and 4 pound fish. Sorry I can’t be a little more informative, but I gave a couple of my good buddies the heads up on these areas, therefore they will be on them hot and heavy during the up coming weekend.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Thanks for the info....
Like I said, not looking for the spot, just the conditions to look for where bites are being produced. The more I know about what causes them to be there during certain conditions, then the more I can find my own areas that have fish.

Thanks for the info you provided though....as I will put it to good use Sunday when I am down there in the yak.

· Registered
157 Posts
Hi I am brand new to the forum. I was wondering what you through down at fayette? Have a busy work week, but next wed/thurs thinking about going there or bastrop.

Best for Now,

Just moved here from AZ, and the fishing out here is about 20x's better than there. There is actually water. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.