Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a couple of years since I bought a spool of braided line and things have probably changed substantially during this time. From reading information on the Internet, there are a good number of high quality lines to choose from, including lines that have been woven so they are round, which is better in several regards. Also, some are high visibility, which permits line watching, but not visible to the fish if a fluoro leader is used (a common practice).

I need a spool of 15# for a spinning rod, and am asking which brand and kind you guys on the Austin Bass Forum would recommend? Although there are a number of quality braids on the market, I'm guessing that some of them casts better than others due to coatings, etc. All replies will be appreciated.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I exclusively use 15# PowerPro Super 8 Slick in hi-viz yellow. The last few times I've been at Cabelas, it's been in stock.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah... PowerPro Super Slick. I've got 20lb, 30lb and 65lb on 3 different rods right now and love it. Can't go wrong with that stuff.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I thought power pro was the best line ever until I tried suffix. Suffix line is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't understand everyone's obsession with Power Pro. I don't like how stiff that stuff is. I've never had a failure with it per say, but it all just comes down to personal preference. The P-Line XTCB-8 braid feels better and handles better on a spinning reel, in my opinion. P-Line is one of my sponsors, yes, but they're one of my sponsors because I actually l believe in and like their products.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can tell you what NOT to get. I bought some Piscifun 12 lb braided as an experiment because it got some good reviews on Amazon and it was absolute crap. I could go into all the reasons why but it is just going to bum me out. Dont waste your time. I still have the spool and Im afraid to even use it for bluegill.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Is it winter already, we always start talking about knots and fishing line when the fishing slows down for the winter lol.

In ten straight years of using Spiderwire I never had a single wind knot. I didn't even know what one was until I bought Powerpro. Everyone uses Powerpro so I thought I should too, so I did for about a year. But I went back to Spiderwire. I did like the slickness of the powerpro, Spiderwire has a subtle vibration as you pull the lure through the water, likely due to how rough it is. But I think that slickness had something to do with the wind knots and also my knots would come undone, also due to that slickness. But that's just me (and my wife and kids with the wind knots). You should try a few brands, or just grab one and stick with it unless it gives you a reason to try another. I also found that the BPS braid is pretty good, as long as you aren't worried about how slick it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Power Pro without a doubt and you can get it at Academy cheaper than any place else. I always take the first 2-3 feet from the hook and use a black marker, the line fades with time and this solves that. I use 30lb on spinning and casting rods, cast to the moon on both. Short flipping a Mono out performs the braid, I hate fluorocarbon and can't stand the stuff.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for the replies. I went to Academy today and did not find Power Pro Slick or Sufix 832 in high visibility, so picked a spool of Berkley NanoFil 15# and will give it a try. It is white and I hope it will be visible, but won't know until I fish with it. Have any of you used NanoFil?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Many thanks for the replies. I went to Academy today and did not find Power Pro Slick or Sufix 832 in high visibility, so picked a spool of Berkley NanoFil 15# and will give it a try. It is white and I hope it will be visible, but won't know until I fish with it. Have any of you used NanoFil?
Ruh-roh. NanoFil? I tried that stuff because I seem to remember reading that it was supposed to be designed for use on spinning reels, but man... I thought it was terrible. I may not be a PowerPro guy, but I'll use PowerPro over NanoFil anyday. As I recall, there was absolutely nothing about it that I liked. I could be wrong, but I would guess there's a reason that nobody has mentioned it so far... haha

·
Registered
237 Posts

It casts extremely well but the knot strength is poor and the abrasion resistance is laughable.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've got Spiderwire invisibraid on one spinning reel. PP super slick 8 on the others. I've no issues with knots or abrasion. But then again if I did, I'd be more apt to think it had something to do with me, rather then the line.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an eight pound fluoro leader tied to the NanoFil with an Albright knot. I think the knot will be fine. If the NanoFil doesn't work out, I'll go on line and buy some high vis Power Pro Slick or Suffix 832. Still haven't decided which.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts