Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-[

Well, here is the official Falcon Lake report.  Let me address a few things before I get into the fishing.

Safety:  I felt completely safe.  When I hit Laredo, I saw over 20+ Border Patrol in about 2 mile intervals parked on the side of the highway.  There were numerous BP boats patrolling the water as well.  I was never stopped, but I did see them out there.

Hotel:  I stayed at Oso Blanco and it was priced right.  $50 per night with a huge room and 2 big, soft beds.  The room had a full shower, TV, fridge, microwave and table.  It was more than what I needed.  I drug my kayak in each night (just in case…).  They also had an “adult game room” and a bar on site that were both open late.  The private boat ramp was adequate and provided to some nice water to fish.

Food:  I brought stuff to make sandwiches because I am cheap…..but I did venture out and ate at “The Steak House” restaurant and had an amazing chicken fried steak, fries, beans, rice, salad, toast and chips/salsa all for $8!!!!  It was amazing.  I also ate at “Taco el Tejano”, however I was upset that no one spoke English and couldn’t help me decipher their Spanish menu.  I had to guess what to eat.

Falcon Lake Tackle:  I stopped in and spoke with Tom and he was a great guy.  He showed me a map, recommended places to fish, eat and sleep.  He showed me a few tackle options and didn’t try to sell me “the shop”.  He provided me with all of the info I needed.

Now…..on to the actual fishing.  After I checked into the hotel, I decided to drive over to “el Tigre Grande” and scope it out since that was where I would be fishing all day Thursday.  It was Wednesday evening about 5pm when I arrived.  I launched and decided I would stay within 200 yards of the launch because it would be getting dark soon.  I fished the trees in 6 to 16 FOW with the following baits:

• Assorted plastics:  10” ol monster, zoom speed-vibe, large rattle snakes, WW’s,  magnum flukes, 10” curly tail worms, assorted craws…all in watermelon/red, watermelon/candy, watermelon/magic, watermelon/flash and good ‘ol RedBug.
• Top water baits including poppers and Rapala X Rap

I only had a few bites and was unable to hook into any of them.  I spoke to a few boats coming in that evening and none of them had any luck.

Thursday morning I launched again at The Tiger about 6am.  It was foggy and water temp was about 84.  I decided to fish the wide hard bottom flat next to the launch until it was light enough to see.  Came up empty, so I went to fish the tree line to the right of the launch.  It extended out about 100 yards into the water and it was in about 12-15 FOW.  I fished this with the same assorted plastics from the day before until about 8am.  At 8am…….the front blew in, and the 5mph winds went to N/NE winds of 20-25mph with 30mph gusts.  IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO FISH ANY TYPE OF OPEN WATER, so I headed down deep into the trees where PB’s couldn’t go.  I needed to find some cover.  From 8-1pm I fished deep in the trees…..without any bites.  I threw 3/4oz SB’s in natural shad and white, assorted plastics again, swimbaits, jigs in browns and greens, and I even attempted to throw CB’s in shad and craw patterns.  Again……I came up empty handed!  At this point the wind was so bad, I was taking waves over the side of the boat and it was getting unsafe for me.  I decided to head in and take a nap.

Thursday evening I launched at the hotel ramp and fished the adjacent areas.  Again I fished the same patterns I was told…..the trees in 10-15 FOW.  I threw everything I had and then some.  As the sun started to set, I decided to fish a cove that had some tree cover and was sheltered from the wind.  I threw plastics, jigs and TW.  Guess what……..I came up empty again.  As the sun set, I loaded up and went to the hotel.  I decided not to fish Friday and I loaded up and early Friday morning I headed to Fayette.  I caught 10 fish in just under 2 hours at Fayette!

I’m not sure why I couldn’t boat a single fish.  I am guessing that the front shut down the bite?  While I was there I never saw the pressure below 30.32%.  It averaged 30.32 to 30.40% the entire trip.  Perhaps the pressure/wind/front gave them lockjaw??  Anyways, I am gonna go back, but with a big boat so I can actually cover water a little better and find the fish.  

A few movies:

WINDY!  ---->  [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVPAztl8-c[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjgrtMm1ak[/media]

A few pics:

· Registered
157 Posts
Arai,

What did you throw at Fayette that worked well? I am heading out there next week, if my wife doesn't deliver our baby. Been some good reports and I wanted to go give it a shot. Any good advice. That stinks about Falcon. I had a buddy fish there last febuary and they caught some monsters. Better luck next time

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
544556595C44475E59370 said:
Arai,

What did you throw at Fayette that worked well? I am heading out there next week, if my wife doesn't deliver our baby. Been some good reports and I wanted to go give it a shot. Any good advice. That stinks about Falcon.  I had a buddy fish there last febuary and they caught some monsters. Better luck next time
PM sent

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Sounds like a tough trip, glad you got a few on your seond try. Thanks for the detailed report.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Yes, thanks for the detailed report and trip info and killer pics. Nice to pull out Fayette as your ace in hole when a tug is needed. Better weather next time and you'll slay'm!

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I want to go back again under different weather conditions.  Next trip I am going to take someone with me.......it was a lonely 3 days of no fish catching!!!   HAHA

As I sit here and eat cold pizza, I am craving that chicken fried steak I ate......It was well worth the $8! YUMMMMMMMM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.