Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left early Friday morning for the 4 hour drive to Zapata, Texas which is on the north shore of the lake across from Salado Creek on the Mexican side. Much to our surprise there was no one shooting in the streets, no sounds of automatic gunfire in the distance and no crazed drug dealers tearing around town. We parked at the Holiday Inn where we had reservations and rode with the guides to the mid-lake area known as the Tigers. The Tigers is actually a pair of coves on the American side of the lake that is roughly 20 times the size of Lake Bastrop by itself. To give you some idea- Lake Bastrop is 900 surface acres. Falcon lake has over 83000 surface acres.  

Falcon Lake is 2 feet over full right now. It has not been full since the 1990s. Therefore, the 83000 surface acres reported by TPWD has dramatically increased with all the flooded brush country created by the upriver flooding of the last 2 years. We fished the whole weekend in areas that appear as dry land on the GPS map chips. The fish are staging in the backs of the many coves for the spawn in January. We were fishing the senderos between the matted brush. The cold front knocked the bite off to some degree but we still caught over 100 fish in 3 days. There were losts of 3-4 lbers, some 5lbers and the big fish went 6-2.

On Saturday we ventured up lake to a place on the American side called Beacon Lodge. We fished some deeper structure over the old flooded town of Zapata and then ventured to the Mexican side for a couple of hours before dark to see see if the Mexican fish were biting any better. They were not. We had some great Mexican food at a place called Ana's in Zapata.

Sunday we fished until 3pm and started back.

Most of our 51 hrs at Lake Falcon were spent on the water. We saw, perhaps, 5 other fishing boats. The ramps never had more that 6 or 7 trailers in the parking lot. It is a shame because Zapata, like Fayetteville, Lakeway and a number of other small towns, is dependent on the recreational business generated by the lake.  In my opinion, the recent press is yet another example of the liberal media overblowing a tragedy to have something to talk about. This time it has worked to the detriment of the economy of Zapata, Texas.  Mexico may be having  its problems, but I saw nothing in Zapata or at Lake Falcon to justify the hysteria about going there.

Thanks to our guides Mike Hastings and Jim Behnken. I would post a picture but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

· Registered
9,994 Posts
Not sure how reporting Americans being robbed and killed makes the media Liberal. I watched it on Fox news :eek:
Seems the Conservative crew has something to gain from fear too.

I agree it's a shame that a bunch of lowlife scum have created this sence of fear, and is costing hard working citizens their income.

Free the Hemp, lock down the border and send the unlawful packing...

Dez

· Registered
20 Posts
What happened at Falcon is definately a trajedy but we have people getting killed everyday in our home towns and they don't bring the press that did. If I know of a crack house that if I go near I might be in danger, then I'll avoid the house but not the whole city it's in. In other words as far as Falcon goes stay away from Salado creek (where everything has happened) and salinias if you are worried at all or just stay on the American side. I saw several patrol boats on our side last weekend and in all the years I've fished there, I have never seen that before.

· Registered
11,981 Posts
+3 Dez. This is not a liberal/conservative media issue. Its a media issue plain and simple. My trip to Falcon and Zapata was nothing but pleasant this past January (other than the freezing temps and crappy fishing). I plan on going next month and for years to come. Some good people down their that need our support. I will drop $50-$100 at Falcon Lake Tackle, I know its overpriced, but they have a selection like no one else and are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Stay away from the Mexican side, there are plenty of fish to be caught in America.

· Registered
604 Posts
+4 to Dez. I cannot imagine that anyone of those fishermen that were robbed, or the man that was recently killed would agree with you. It probably seems overblown, until its you that its dodging bullets and being held at gunpoint.

I certainly understand how these events are afeecting the local economy down there, and absolutely feel for the guides down there. Lord knows they have seen greener pastures than these last few months.

The bottom line is, its dangerous at Falcon. So much that we need boats patrolling all over the lake, and everyone looking over their shoulders.

Until the Border Patrol, and the U.S. Government decide this is important enough to take drastic measures to fix the problem, my butt will be fishing at other lakes.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Don'tget me started, I've tried to be cool for a while but it's clear to see you haven't spent much time at Falcon. Great people,great town,great tackle shop and eating places but just a little too much trouble for me. Have a great time and be safe

· Registered
9,994 Posts
Sure miss the good ole days when we used to get the town together, load up our saddlebags with some jerky, a pint of whisky and a few hundred rounds of .45 and go after the sorry bastards that keep terrorizing the town folk. Why does the border keep us from going over there a kick ass? They don't give a damn about coming over here and raping and pillaging...

Americans today expect the government to protect and defend us when we need to save ourselves..

Charlie Daniels said it "We need a few more ********"

· Registered
1,645 Posts
476679030 said:
Sure miss the good ole days when we used to get the town together, load up our saddlebags with some jerky, a pint of whisky and a few hundred rounds of .45 and go after the sorry bastards that keep terrorizing the town folk. Why does the border keep us from going over there a kick ass? They don't give a damn about coming over here and raping and pillaging...

Americans today expect the government to protect and defend us when we need to save ourselves..

Charlie Daniels said it "We need a few more ********"
+1 I'm with ya on that

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I havent fished Falcon before. This was the first time and the reason we went with guides.

The most recent news however, from Stratfor.com, suggests that those involved in  drug trafficking through that area are as unhappy about the Hartley event as the American government. The last thing that an economically minded dope peddler wants is to draw attention to himself or his operation. Stratfor does point out that there have been a number of murders of American citizens in Mexico in the last year. Some of these were likely NOT related to the victim's involvement in drug activity. Bottom line is that the various factions in the drug business have nothing to gain by hijacking fishermen on Falcon. Granted that some folks, perhaps as many as 4, reported being held up this past year(3 on the Mexican side of the lake and 1 on the American side).  I strongly suspect, however, that those holdups were not carried out by the warring drug factions. I further suspect that the drug factions are actively discouraging anybody, including potential Mexican bandits,  from drawing more American attention to the border area. That too, impacts their sordid business.

Dont get me wrong, I do not, and would not, encourage anybody to venture into mainland Mexico for any reason right now. But as far as travel in the US is concerned (or international waters),  it is personal decision as to what risk level you are comfortable accepting. I agree with Derick k. Crime happens in  many places. It doesnt logically follow that you should avoid the whole area of the country. Just because I decided to fish Falcon, doesnt mean I would be comfortable taking pictures of the church at Guerrero.

I didnt intend to start a fight with this thread, but I think if you look at the big picture, as opposed to the "news selling headline" that most people can make a more rational decision.

· Registered
9,994 Posts
Ranger I don't think you started a fight, but when you made the statement about the "Liberal media" you sound like another conspiracy theorist. We are certainly willing to debate though and so, I can't figure why the Liberal media would want to bring this to light, as the liberals don't want immigration reform, or that's what the conservatives say when it suits their purpose. Also sounds like you either have some inside information on the politics inside the Mexican cartels or you've decided that whatever internet news you've heard is the unaldulterated truth, and I doubt that is the case, so your theorys are supposition and conjecture, not necessarily fact.

I didn't fish Falcon this year and the crimes are the reason. I don't go to 6th street for the same reason. Just don't feel the need to risk it right now. I wish it weren't so.

Dez

· Registered
114 Posts
Hey ranger was that you guys fishing back behind the Tiger bridges on Sunday. I too fished Falcon this past weekend and had no problems and only saw one other bass boat even in the same area.

Its a shame to have such a good lake set idle.

Each person must decide whats comfortable to them.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ranger I don't think you started a fight, but when you made the statement about the  "Liberal media" you sound like another conspiracy theorist. We are certainly willing to debate though and so,  I can't figure why the Liberal media would want to bring this to light, as the liberals don't want immigration reform, or that's what the conservatives say when it suits their purpose. Also sounds like you either have some inside information on the politics inside the Mexican cartels or you've decided that whatever internet news you've heard is the unaldulterated truth, and I doubt that is the case, so your theorys are supposition and conjecture, not necessarily fact.
Dez-  I am not sure why you think dope dealing is an immigration reform issue and, although I assume you were kidding,  I do not have "inside info" on the Mexican cartels. I do, however, try to educate myself and analyze things with available information. If you havent looked at stratfor.com, you might give it a shot. It is politically non-ideological  and gives a pretty good perspective on international events. It is by no means the only source available.  

I think we can agree on a few things:  1. Drug dealers run through Falcon Lake and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. They also run through San Antonio and Austin. 2. The US government does not have (now or at any time in the last 40 years) the majic bullet for the drug trafficking problem on the border. 3. Anybody's opinion on what is likely to happen on the border is speculation. 4. Its good to live in a country that recognizes our right to choose where and with whom we want to fish!! It doesnt sound like you and I will be fishing together any time soon.

· Registered
9,994 Posts
4A4B574D4C50380 said:
Ranger I don't think you started a fight, but when you made the statement about the  "Liberal media" you sound like another conspiracy theorist. We are certainly willing to debate though and so,  I can't figure why the Liberal media would want to bring this to light, as the liberals don't want immigration reform, or that's what the conservatives say when it suits their purpose. Also sounds like you either have some inside information on the politics inside the Mexican cartels or you've decided that whatever internet news you've heard is the unaldulterated truth, and I doubt that is the case, so your theorys are supposition and conjecture, not necessarily fact.
Dez-  I am not sure why you think dope dealing is an immigration reform issue and, although I assume you were kidding,  I do not have "inside info" on the Mexican cartels. I do, however, try to educate myself and analyze things with available information. If you havent looked at stratfor.com, you might give it a shot. It is politically non-ideological  and gives a pretty good perspective on international events. It is by no means the only source available.  

I think we can agree on a few things:  1. Drug dealers run through Falcon Lake and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. They also run through San Antonio and Austin. 2. The US government does not have (now or at any time in the last 40 years) the majic bullet for the drug trafficking problem on the border. 3. Anybody's opinion on what is likely to happen on the border is speculation. 4. Its good to live in a country that recognizes our right to choose where and with whom we want to fish!! It doesnt sound like you and I will be fishing together any time soon.
I bet we agree on more than you think my brother, and I promise I'm not trying to be an ass. Just tired of this whole Liberal media this and Fox news that. It's all about big business and the government manipulating us into letting them do what the hell they want and I'm trying not to buy into the BS.

I would like to answer above list though:

1. Indeed true. Legalize pot and you'd put a few thousand out of work.

2. They don't and I don't expect them to ever. Free the hemp though and you'd be able to focus on the drugs that destroy people and society..Possibly making a dent in the trade.

3. Agreed.

4. I'll fish with you anytime man, I enjoy a healthy, mind freeing debate with a fellow sportsman, keeps us thinking.

I appreciate you, seem like a bright fellow, welcome to ABF.. :)

Dez

· Registered
1,789 Posts
I didn't fish Falcon this year and the crimes are the reason. I don't go to 6th street for the same reason. Just don't feel the need to risk it right now. I wish it weren't so.

Dez[/quote]

Actually, not that I mean to jump on anyone here, but that kind of seems to validate the overarching point ranger177tr was trying to make here. It seems like most of the serious incidents on 6th have largely been concentrated to the east end (the area near I-35) during the wee hours of the morning during and after closing hours. The rest of 6th has been relatively safe. I'm not sure where you got that info about 6th being unsafe, but I know that statesman.com published several articles about how gangs were terrorizing 6th - and later, basically recanted those articles, by virtue of some other writers who performed a bit more due diligence instead of hastily jumping on the bandwagon in an attempt to milk overblown but still somewhat hot issues.

I grew up in the Washington DC area in the 80s/90s and it was known as the murder capital of the world. It was exciting press at the time and while its certainly true the city had a large number of murders, leading the nation in yearly homicides amassed for several years when measurable parameters were applied, for anyone who lived in the area - basically, if you were able to apply a bit of sense to where you went at what time - you'd be fine.

There have been a couple of guides, including Haralson, who are on the water almost every day and have been trying to spread the news that Falcon's been perfectly safe and as long as you, like Derick K too well stated, use a bit of judgment about where you go - you'll be fine.

Clearly, it's quite easy for the media to simply blow an issue up and continue superheating it till it explodes way past proportion, kinda like our economy... but that's another issue altogether...

The saddest thing is, the responsible media, publications like the NY Times, Washington Post, and others, may be a thing of the past if they can't figure out how to create a viable business model... and then who will we have to turn to for our information. Oh yes, there'll always be Fox News.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.