Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date:  10-15 thu 17
Water Temp:  80 with muddy to clear water
Weather:  Cold Front Thurs a.m. and Sunny post front on Fri.

After a 14 hour shift of dedicated work, my father, Derrell, and I were Zapata bound to fish the infamous Lake Falcon.  Arrived Wed evening with enough time to squeeze in a  few hours of scouting and fishing.

First fish was a 7lb 2oz piggy followed up with a few other 3s and 4lbs and a couple of dinks.  

Came into town to check in at Sunbridge Inn and met up with a handful of ABF members: Adam Clark, Todd, Big Bass Brent Parish, Odell Wooley, and Chris, along with our new Honeymooners (Bassmanaustin) Robert and Leslie.  Unpacked and chilled for the evening in preparation of Falcon Day 1.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Faclon Lake 10-15 thru 17 with pics

Falcon Thursday - Cold front passing through:

Woke up Thurs a.m. and partook in a complimentary Holiday Inn Express B-fast, a stop at Falcon Lake Tackle, then off to the county Ramp (good ramp- high encouraged for groups). Launched at sunrise and made our journey to waters unknown to us. Everybody caught quality fish on blades, cranks, and soft plastics in depths from 3’ to 25’. Adam and his buddy managed 31lbs for their best 5 with Adam’s friend’s PB of 9+lbs (biggest of the group) and a pic will be posted when I get a copy of it.. The wind was up a tad forcing us to heed caution when running from area to area.

Caught a 7.0 and dad banged one just shy of 7lbs.

Fished til dark and then retreated back to the Inn for more socializing and watching Odell’s magical swimbait riggin’- ‘twas quite the art form. Shot the bull while tieing on newer baits replacing the ones that were wounded in action.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Friday - Post front cool in the a.m. but heated up by 10:00.a.m. full sundhine in effect.

Fri a.m. came around and once again, I started my morning with yet another HIECB.  Hit the lake just before sunrise and made our journey to waters we were not able to fish on Thurs.  Started off with Derrell catching a nice one right off the bat and then Dad landed one over 6 shortly thereafter.  

I missed 2 that somehow did not hook up on my crankbait- figured with exposed hooks, it should be automatic- guess not.  Worked our way around and then stuck an 8lb piggy.  

We picked up, moved to another local, and manged to pick up a few more quality fish.  We then fished some ledges and rockpiles near flooded brush/trees and caught a few more between 3-6 lbs.  

Other members of the group caught some quality fish as well.
Adam caught a nice 7lber that his partner had to go under for,  but it paid dividends  ;D.

Brent Parish's buddy Chris also landed a nice 8+lb toad.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Called it the day at 5:00 pm for a group photo with fish that are just shy of 5lbs and better before heading back home to reality.  :'(.

Derrell and I with an 8,5,6,4 (L to R)

Brent Parish and crew

We didn’t catch a ton of fish but the fish we caught were of quality by all means.  We never camped in any of the spots we were fishing, we kept on moving scouting water.  What I can tell you is that with all the flooded brush and the tight fishing areas, you better have tough gear or you won’t get much of a peak at what could be potentially a double digit fish.  The fish put up a good fight (but wasn’t much of a match to 50lb braid and a scrape rod).

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It was definitely good time hanging with dad and friends.  Sharing stories and hooking up with some quality fish.  Thanks for the good times Brent, Odell, Chris, Adam, Todd, Robert / Leslie, Derrell, and especially my father.

Next week the MR. and Mrs, Bass Club is heading down there for a 2 day tourney- I wish all of you the best of luck and happy hog hunting.  Be sure to gear up and be cautious of the hardwood underneath the water that now invisible due to the higher waters.  We look forward to y’all Falcon reports after your T.

I would also like to give thanks to James and Tom at Falcon Lake Tackle for their hospitality.  These guys treated us with utmost respect and top notch generosity.  Stop by and check out the selection which ranged from simple tackle to boat parts/accessories.  

The following are random pics of Lake Falcon.

Sunrise or Sunset? Does it matter? Still awsome  :cool:.

Look high to y'all   :eek:

Deer Stand

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You will see lots of this....

Last but not leat, Congratualtions to Robert and Leslie who were just married and spedning their honeymoon on the Lake!

Unforgettable trip...... Looking forward to more....

Hope y'all enjoy this lengthy post  :D.

kp

Leaving as a sticky for now to update with other pics as they come in and also to resize some of the images that were a little larger than the others..

·
Registered
387 Posts

Man kevin I cant wait till the end of the month, What a great report and it is going to be fun.  I will hopefully come back with a great report and have some good pics.  Oh yeah Congrats Robert and leslie I am sure you have many years ahead of you.

JSF

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

Great report and pics. Looks like y'all had a blast, those are some nice fish! :eek: Looks like Falcon is finally back at full pool, or close to it.

John

·
Registered
107 Posts

Excellent report and great pictures son.  I had a blast especially meeting new anglers and learning new techniques.  This is what fishing is all about.  Special thanks to Odell, who I met for the first time, for sharing his special swimbait technique and his tackle with me while at Falcon.   The fishing was a little slow for me but the quality was pretty good.  Caught 3 on Wed, 5 on Thurs (12 hours) and 6 on Sun (10 hours).  But all in all it was a great time.  Congratulations are extended to Robert and Leslie ( Mr and Mrs Brown) as they were enjoying their honeymoon at Lake Falcon.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Great report Kevin, thanks! I hope to get our pictures from Odell this evening and ill post them after I do. It really was a great time, I look forward to going back the weekend after next for the Mr & Mrs tournament. yay! Like everyone mentioned, the fishing was slow and a lot of work but it paid off. Fished spinnerbaits most of the time, I would say it was about 1 fish for for every 100 casts or so. I was exhausted by the end of the day but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The full pool is really going to make for an awesome spawn and make Falcon even more phenomenal in the years to come!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.