Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you are a boat owner, then yes, you have had one of those scary moments. Boats are a very dangerous toy to play with. You must show it respect or it will bite you in the butt. The question of will it happen is not a factor in this at all; it is a matter of when will it happen and you must be prepared for it. That’s why there is a kill switch cord to hook onto your body. Unexplainable events will take place in about a split second and then it’s over. I use to run mine all out everywhere I went, but now I cruse at comfortable speed with the motor trimmed down to maintain control. A rule of thumb is to trim it up till your rooster tail reaches the top of your cowling. I see boats throwing a huge rooster tail all the time. It looks good, but so much energy is being wasted and the motor is running at a much higher RPM. Plus the margin of boat control is reduced when running with the motor trimmed up more than required. Wait till you run your boat in some 4 to 5 foot rollers. That day will come and there will be a lot to learn from it. I have put the nose of my boat into several waves, not fun my friend. And it has been air born on many occasions. Lake Austin on a busy day will get you if you’re not careful and paying close attention to what is going on. There are a few areas that get this slosh wave thing going on and there is no correct way to drive over them safely other than to back off the throttle, trim down and let the bow of the boat cut a path. And just when you think you know your boat and its limits, something out of no where will put you in a scary situation with out notice. Boat safety is not to be taken lightly. The danger is there and it’s out to get you.

Well said Doug. I'll add that running in heavy fog can fine tune reaction skills.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You can run in fog, you just need a good partner to warn you about the upcoming trees is all. Wow, was that ever a wild ride. Haven't tried to get up on plane in the fog every since then either. Electronics or no electronics, ain't gonna happen. LMBO

21 - 22 of 22 Posts