Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just wondering if anyone else has scared the crapola out of yourself in your bass boat like I did?

I just recently got my 1st bass boat and I've never owned anything even remotely as fast. I took my skeeter to Lake Travis a few weeks ago to do the break-in proceedure which I did by the book. Once I finally got past the fist couple of hours of running excruciatingly slow it was time to open this bad mamajama up and she what she could do. To this point in my life the fastest I had ever gone over water was maybe the mid to high 50's. Well, 50mph came and went quickly and easily. Then 60 (Hell to the yeah!) then 65 (the world is going by really fast now) and finally 70mph at which point my face started to detach from my skull. I quickly backed her down to a more reasonable 60ish.

Now comes the scary part, so I'm tooling along around 60 when out of nowhere a huge 4 foot roller came along and I went massively airborn! My spine was compressed to about 1 1/4 inches in total length, my spleen ejected from my left nostril and my kidneys relocated to my knees. I learned a very valuable lesson that day - don't run at high speed on a lake like Travis (especially when the big cabin cruisers are out). Apparently the wake generated by those boats never dissipate. Even when they hit the shoreline they continue to propogate through the Earth's crust until they reach the ocean and then keep rolling until they wipe out a small fishing village is Asia somewhere.

So what is your scary / near-death experiences?

Craig

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Yep, same scenario only on Lake Austin. The guy sitting in the middle seat was smallish in stature and we had to grab his shirt cause we though he was flying out.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I got my Scarab airborn like that at 60 mph after Aquapalooza and thought I was going to flip the boat the front end went up so high. Sure wish I had that on video because my prop had to have been 6 feet out of the water.

Other than that the scariest moment I've had on a boat was when we realized a water moccasin was in the back end next to the outboard while on the main lake. Also last hunting season I was in this old POS flat bottom trying to retrieve a duck in 35 degree weather. Started paddling the boat out with a limb, limb broke, boat started to sink. When it started sinking the rats that were the size of small cats that were living in the foam in the back of the boat started bailing out. I finally just stopped looking at the rats and prayed I made it back to shore without getting bit. That wasn't an experience I ever plan to do again.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My "Holy ****" moment was on LBJ early this year. I was cruising about 50 up the Colorado side when my steering wheel jerked the boat at 90 degree turn straight towards the docks. I slowed down, gained control, and raised the motor. I jug from a submerged jugline floated out from under the motor. Somehow, that obstruction caused the motor to peg to one side. I never saw the jug so it had to be just under the surface. Always care a spare pair of undies.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. The discs in my back are compressed enough already to be doing the airborn slam thing at 60 mph.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Try riding with Russ Lane. He does 80-85 and never lifts EVER. Pretty sure I **** myself twice while riding with him on Texoma a few weeks back. That Phoenix of his is a bad mofo and he isn't afraid to get airborne. Oh, and he could care less if his marshal fly's out of the boat. :trust_me:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Be careful of tuna boat wakes on Travis. They will sneak up on you, as in all of a sudden you have no water under the hull. Hell No! Big Tuna Don't Care.....

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Be careful of tuna boat wakes on Travis. They will sneak up on you, as in all of a sudden you have no water under the hull. Hell No! Big Tuna Don't Care.....
ok there are tuna fishermen on travis?, or is the tuna boat the name of a larger vessel out there? I guess I could google it.

My moment occurred one morning of a ttz trial tourney at LBJ. Beautiful morning, below freezing, partner was backing me down to launch with a slough of anglers waiting to launch behind us. He dropped my off the trailer and my steering was frozen. wheel wouldn't move and the motor was cranking slow. Then all of a sudden it fired up, the steering started working-and we went and caught an 18lb sack

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ok there are tuna fishermen on travis?, or is the tuna boat the name of a larger vessel out there? I guess I could google it.

My moment occurred one morning of a ttz trial tourney at LBJ. Beautiful morning, below freezing, partner was backing me down to launch with a slough of anglers waiting to launch behind us. He dropped my off the trailer and my steering was frozen. wheel wouldn't move and the motor was cranking slow. Then all of a sudden it fired up, the steering started working-and we went and caught an 18lb sack
My term for those boats that are so big they have no biz on a lake... You know, the 45fters that run at 1/3 throttle with their bows in the air.. Sorry, Old AZ term.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, same kind of thing for me many years ago. Was fishing the Stockton Delta in CA and there are some areas that are pretty wide and get some big boats/wakes. I wasn't paying enough attention. I knew there was a wake ahead of me, but did not realize until too late just how big it was. It's a really weird feeling seeing your 20lb tackle box "floating" next to your head. Never did that again....

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Not really an oh **** moment but last weekend on the ferry down in galveston a cargo ship passed in front of us. There were 10 or so people on the front of the ferry, they all marveled at the big ship, not paying attention to the 5' wave headed directly at us. That watched as the ship passed by and BAM. They were all soaked as if they just got out of the shower.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
HAHAHA you guys and your cute lil wakes. Try doing a u-turn twice in 50' to 60' waves... 378' cutter that is only 40' wide. USCGC Mellon WHEC 717
I need to to introduce you to the guy I fish with 90%of the time. He's a Coastie.....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Mine was with Shirley I the break in and we were around 65 when we hitter same wave from the big cruiser and after we landed she said take my arse home now at 25 I did👀

·
Registered
582 Posts
image.jpeg image.jpeg My buddies PM drag boat has caused many "oh ****" moments through the years.

My favorite would be marble falls a few years ago. Everyone wrecked their brain trying to figure out why he had no hole shot. Long story short, on the way to the ramp on the final day we found out he never turned on the air, so he never shifted. It was too late. 60lbs of boost and chillis got a hell of a show as he launched out of the water and the the burst plate blew.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
If you are a boat owner, then yes, you have had one of those scary moments. Boats are a very dangerous toy to play with. You must show it respect or it will bite you in the butt. The question of will it happen is not a factor in this at all; it is a matter of when will it happen and you must be prepared for it. That’s why there is a kill switch cord to hook onto your body. Unexplainable events will take place in about a split second and then it’s over. I use to run mine all out everywhere I went, but now I cruse at comfortable speed with the motor trimmed down to maintain control. A rule of thumb is to trim it up till your rooster tail reaches the top of your cowling. I see boats throwing a huge rooster tail all the time. It looks good, but so much energy is being wasted and the motor is running at a much higher RPM. Plus the margin of boat control is reduced when running with the motor trimmed up more than required. Wait till you run your boat in some 4 to 5 foot rollers. That day will come and there will be a lot to learn from it. I have put the nose of my boat into several waves, not fun my friend. And it has been air born on many occasions. Lake Austin on a busy day will get you if you’re not careful and paying close attention to what is going on. There are a few areas that get this slosh wave thing going on and there is no correct way to drive over them safely other than to back off the throttle, trim down and let the bow of the boat cut a path. And just when you think you know your boat and its limits, something out of no where will put you in a scary situation with out notice. Boat safety is not to be taken lightly. The danger is there and it’s out to get you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts