Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fly the Stars and Stripes from the front of my house to honor John McCain. But my heart is heavy because of the death of Ed King.

August 21, I was watching "If I Leave Here Tomorrow", a documentary on Showtime about Lynyrd Skynyrd. The "rockumentary" has really great interviews with King and fellow guitarist Gary Rossington. They talked about the events that led to King's leaving the band "high and dry" after a concert in Pittsburg. I looked at King's Wikipedia entry after the documentary concluded.

The next day, August 22, KLBJ played a Skynyrd song and afterwards the DJ said that of the band members pictured on the debut album cover, "Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd", only Gary Rossington was still living. I was stunned.

I later learned King had cancer, and died at home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22, 2018.

I was only twelve when Ronnie Van Zant and King's replacement Steve Gaines were killed in a plane crash. Yet "Street Survivors" and the rest of the albums became the soundtrack of my adolescence. Yeah, I'm a Texan, but I identify closely with the South.

Ed King co-wrote "Sweet Home Alabama" with Gary Rossington and Ronnie Van Zant. Ed King's voice counts the song in, "One, Two, Three...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts