Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be grinding my own deer up this weekend and had a question. I keep reading about a gland inside the hams that needs to be removed. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I'm going to be grinding my own deer up this weekend and had a question. I keep reading about a gland inside the hams that needs to be removed. Anyone know anything about this?
Yes, they're actually lymph nodes, although some still call them (lymph) glands. You'll find them in the center of the ham where the three large muscles meet. Usually about the size of an almond, greyish/brown, just toss them. Not toxic so far as I know, but likely bitter and unsavory. I tend to also remove as much tendon and fascia as possible before grinding, as it will collect on your blades and plates and slow you down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
electric grinder or hand grinder?

if it's a hand grinder, mad respect. I used one of those a few seasons ago and my arm hurt for a week after. +1 on RO's suggestion to remove as much tendon/fascia as possible. Really prep with the knife, take your time on the prep, or it will cost you more time later.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they're actually lymph nodes, although some still call them (lymph) glands. You'll find them in the center of the ham where the three large muscles meet. Usually about the size of an almond, greyish/brown, just toss them. Not toxic so far as I know, but likely bitter and unsavory. I tend to also remove as much tendon and fascia as possible before grinding, as it will collect on your blades and plates and slow you down.
Thanks RO. SO it sounds like they are pretty obvious when looking for them. I'm planning on grinding with bacon ends and then another batch with brisket trimmings.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
electric grinder or hand grinder?

if it's a hand grinder, mad respect. I used one of those a few seasons ago and my arm hurt for a week after. +1 on RO's suggestion to remove as much tendon/fascia as possible. Really prep with the knife, take your time on the prep, or it will cost you more time later.
Oh no, electric. I'm planning on deboning and trimming the night before so I can take my time. Then grind a pilot batch the next day to make sure I like my proportions.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added a youtube link to my post. His deer has more fat than most of mine, so the nodes are not as obvious in his video, but the location is spot on.
Awesome, I'll take a look when I get home. You had a chance to whack any geese with that shotgun yet? I knocked out 5 ducks in the last two weeks at our place.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not yet man, just got make time somehow, time out of nothing! Glad you're getting it done though!
I'm not putting in much effort. I watched those ducks from the deer blind all morning. Figured if they were still there by lunch time I'd go over and try and jump them. Bad day to be a duck at our place.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rex, I've missed those glands before and never tasted a difference. Although I try to find them and get them out. As for your sausage making I make one big batch after the season is over. IMO this is the way to go due to the time it takes to prep and clean up everything.
I'm just planning on doing ground for now. Not ready to dabble into sausage quite yet.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, made two sample batches. One with 30% bacon and one with 20% brisket trimmings. Made patties out of both. Bacon was spot on, other was good but could go with a little more. Gonna try 30% on the brisket grind tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Not a sausage maker, myself, but I have always wondered:

Ya'll ever try using the tallow you could gather while gutting/quartering the deer? In making sausage, of course.

Reactions: tooslow
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.