Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 11-1 today on Decker. Bluebird skys,, pretty windy. No generation at the plant. Water temps near the launch was 54 and in the discharge was only 56. I only had 2 bites, both on a fluke. The first one was in the discharge and weighed 3.4. The second one was in a cove on the discharge side and weighed 3.1. I do not fish Decker often, and just assumed that with the cold night that electricity would be at peak demand and they would be generating,,, but I was wrong. Only one other boat on the lake. Waiting for better weather on Wed and hitting up Travis.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That lake used to generate a lot two years ago, and beyond that, and I've heard they are going to shut it down. Don't know for sure, but that's what I heard. They just don't generate anymore...

It used to be funner than bastrop cause there was a chance to catch hybrids in the discharge too, and whites.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been told by someone years ago that use to work for City of Austin Utilities that they only generate at Decker when demand is really,really high. That means when it's really, really cold in the winter or really, really hot in the summer. Where I live I can see the plant driving down the hill into my neighborhood and that's when I notice that they are generating.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
http://www.austinenergy.com/About Us/Newsroom/Newsletters/Energy Plus/English/july10.pdf

Above is an article on "peak" generation.

When I was a kid, 35 years ago, Decker was an oil burning plant, and it always ran, and the DC fishing was pretty reliable. Ever since they converted it to natural gas and peak use only, the water gets cold each winter and the grass dies off, but there are still some fish, just nothing like Fayette or even Bastrop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.