Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of late on the reports but better late than never.  Had a chance to make a quick stop on Thursday.  The short short version: fish near the reeds or submerged grass with t -rigged plastics.  Best bet was a pumpkin seed BBH.  Got 5 in no time, largest went just under 5 lbs, most were just in the slot.  Threw in a few perch and a white bass to add to the mix.

Was really looking forward to spend a longer time this weekend but the wind did not cooperate.  Eventually made it out there late Saturday morning and ended up hiding from the wind more than fishing where I wanted.  So this is where it gets interesting.  On the intake side I notice a boat mid lake that appeared to be targeting whites/hybrids so I paid them no attention.  As I was about to move from where I was something told me go check them out since I thought i saw someone wave once or twice.  Now I really didn't want to go to mid lake at this point because the wind was pretty strong and every now and then it would be even stronger.  But I did so, slowly.

Sure enough I get there and there's a couple and their teenage son in an old tri hull with an old johnson 55 that died and won't start.  Had the wife jump over in my jon to help with the weight distibution but then the wind picked up like crazy so we couldn't get a tow rope going.  The tri hull got blown into thick grass near the reeds unbelievably fast so I couldn't get next to them.  After one or two passes the husband manages to toss a rope to me and just held it and pulled them out to deeper water where we stopped and secured the rope.  It was then a slow and bumpy ride back.  Needless to say everyone had life jackets on and i had a knife ready to cut the tow rope if i had to.  I was amazed at how the wind kicked up and even a little worried about how we would fare at the ramp but thankfully the wind died down for a few minutes just as we got near the ramp so that was a nice break.

So the story behind the stranded boaters.  First boat they owned, bought recently on craigslist for $750  :eek:  May still turn out to be a decent deal.  The boat itself was in decent shape but they had these rusty metal tanks that I suspect to be the culprit.  poor dude could not even back his truck down the ramp in a straight line.  When we got back they even offered me some cash but I did what i hope anyone would have done for me.

Got skunked on Saturday but I figure there was a different reason I went out.

· Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I have second thoughts about buying an outboard on craigslist since I don't know anything about motors. I'd seriously recommend having a competent mechanic service it and check it out before taking it on the lake.

· Registered
154 Posts
I got my first boat in March of this year since then I have towed 3 other boats.

One on Travis perdanales arm. One on Georgetown from past Russel all the way back to Ceder Breaks that was a long ride. And one at Decker there engine was blowing smoke like crazy and we were on some pretty good fish, but figured it was better to go help them. I hope all this will come back to me when I need it.

You probably will have a great trip next time out usually works that way!! Glad to see other boaters will do the same!

· Registered
468 Posts
Sometimes a good deal on craigslist doesn't pan out. My dad and uncle bought a boat from there and first to trips out were one way. Did I metion it had a force motor on it? Third trip and every trip since has beed perfect....with a brand new mercury 4 stroke!
Good job on helping out the other boat. Pay it forward, it'll come back to you.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Good work Fuzz. Yep, Decker is a good place to catch stranded boaters. Prolly brought half dozen back to the ramp in the past 5 years. Beats reading about how they drowned in the paper next day...

;) ::)

Good Karma or something...

· Registered
2,196 Posts
nice goin' fuzz!

is it always windy on that lake or what? i swear i havent been there without being dominated by wind!!! when i first bought my kayak i paddled from the ramp all the way to the creek by the power plant. when i made the return trip i had a pretty stiff head wind fighting against me. that was a slow and tiering trip back to the ramp!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.