Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, and longer since I've been to Decker. Dropped my kayak in right at 7 am, and fished until a little after noon.

Water was calm and there wasn't too much boat traffic until 11.

Slow morning for me, I started throwing a frog into thick grass and piles where I'd heard splashing, but to no avail. I switched over to finesse work and landed one dink on a lizard about 15-20 feet from the reed line.

From then until about 11:30, I didn't catch more than a tan. Then, right when I was getting tired, I saw some shad jumping in the water, and bass breaking the surface to gobble them up. I threw a topwater in the area with no luck, so I switched to a jerk bait and hooked into my second dink. He shook the treble out near the kayak, and I took it as a sign to just hang up my hat for the day.

TLDR: I saw schooling fish chasing baitfish in Decker this morning, and I could use some pointers for better tackling the lake.

·
Registered
125 Posts
TFTR!

Ander Meine (local bass guide) does a live feed thing on the Keep Austin Fishing Facebook group every once in a while.
He fishes Decker a lot and can usually dial them in. He usually gives good tips on what is working out there from week to week.
There are also a lot of yak people in that group that post about Decker as well.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My clients and I happened to be close enough to some schoolers the other day on Decker when they came up. My client caught several on a popper and I caught 1 or 2 on a jerkbait in between netting/unhooking their fish. :p The popper seemed to be the better deal that time though.

As for overall tips on tackling the lake, I could write a full discourse on that here, so instead of me taking up a bunch of time to do that, you may want to consider the possibility of coming out with me for a guided trip on the lake some time. www.andermeine.com

Also, like Eric mentioned, occasionally I am asked to do a video report on a couple of area lakes on the Keep Austin Fishing Facebook group. These occur on Wednesday evenings, but can be watched later at any time. When I do, I usually talk about Decker since I fish it a lot. I'll usually mention a few general techniques that have been working recently.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've always thrown a zoom white ice fluke jr on a 1/0 hook weightless into the shad busting schools on bastrop and get hooked any time I'm close enough. In fact I have a 7'4" pole with a spinning reel always set up just for that. I remember the days of sitting on bastrop getting skunked while everyone around me was hauling in fish. The floatilla would roll right past me hammering them and I wouldn't get bit. The weightless fluke was a game changer, along with learning my fish finder and timing my trips better when I can. If you can get out BEFORE sunrise on any lake this time of year you will usually find a very good bite for the first hour or so of light. Then it's pretty much scraps for the rest of the day.

Don't believe the info that fish are sluggish in hot water, it's the biggest misconception there is about bass. They are cold blooded which means they cannot regulate their own temp thus their metabolism is dictated by the surrounding water temps. Think about it, the only time you can catch 100+ bass in one day is on a power plant lake with water temps close to 100 degrees. You can always find bass foraging the bottom but the truth is most of them are extremely active and chasing shad balls all night and morning suspended and way off shore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Was just wondering if anyone knew what hours the gate is open at Decker? I was thinking of doing some night fishing and wondered if the gate was open all night. Now that they installed the credit card machine to pay your entrance fee.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When you're ready to leave, call Austin Energy and they will send an operator from the power plant to let you out. If you get tired of waiting for Austin Energy, you can read the instructions on the sign near the gate. IIRC, it says to call 911.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been to Decker earlier than 5 and the gate is closed. A COA guy shows up and opens the gate. From what I have been told by Austin Park Police, if you are inside after 10:00 PM you'll be charged with criminal trespassing when they come to let you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts