Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todd and I were on the water with our usual early start. Todd proposed alternate starting sites but I insisted on running to the home of the giants. One of the other two boats already on the water had posted up on the northern point of the cove. Todd turned right and surprised me by dropping the troller halfway into the cove on the southern shoreline. We made routine casts in the dark, avoiding trouble and whiling away the pre-dawn hour. As the sun came up, all heck broke out around us. Todd had positioned us well for the early bite, the fish were thick around us. We fan cast topwater baits and senkos at the feeding fish.

Todd reeled his buzzer all the way back to the boat. I watched as a mean fish annihilated the buzzbait inches from the Stratos’ hull. Todd stuck and swung a swarthy bass aboard without turning the reel handle one bit. I’ve been short-lined before, but I’ve never seen a fish caught on line this short, wow!

Todd also caught fish on Yellow Magic and I had a catch and a miss on my chugger. These portly Decker two-pounders resemble footballs and we were ready for kick-off. When the dust settled an hour later, I had three in the boat and Todd had seven. The fish sounded and we commenced to grind. I added a senko fish to make my count four, where I remained stalled out for the next three hours.

We fished inside and outside all the way to the northern point: tight to the reeds or the lake side of the hydrilla in 12 FOW. Todd caught several on senko but I was sucking eggs. I suggested we move to the cove where Todd had caught some last week really shallow during the mid-morning doldrums. I was Texas rigging a trick worm. Todd cast out a drop shot roboworm.

I heard Todd’s drag screaming and he called out my name. Todd’s fish was running for deeper hydrilla. In case Todd needed more room, I grabbed up the three rods I had left dangling off the back deck. I told Todd to take his time playing this fish. The fish burned the drag a couple more times. I knelt down on the front deck as the played out big’un swam head first to me with a conveniently open mouth. We CPR’d the fish and thoroughly carpet bombed the area. I cast out texposed senko to the inside while Todd drop-shotted the outside. The small fish nips and tugs had me going full send on nearly every cast. Whenever Todd heard and felt me swing the rod, he’d ask, “You got him?” and I would shrug off the whiff.

We switched it up, me going for the outside and Todd going back to senko. We were leaving the hydrilla behind, so I bent down and picked up my senko rod. Immediately Todd set the hook on a good’un, the fish had eaten Todd’s senko as soon as it hit the water. I was very happy for Todd, but now I was officially spun out.

I say spun out because my mind was really generating bizarre thoughts. For example, last night I had top-spotted new fishing line onto three of the set-ups I was using. I had used the same type and weight of line, however the line was of a different brand than I normally use. My twisted thought was to blame the brand of line for me not catching fish, doh!

Todd had tripled my fish count and I was in a rut. Then Todd did something he’s never done before. He stayed on the front deck, but he told me he would not cast at the reeds until the next point. Not the next secondary point, but the next mainlake point, almost an eighth-mile away! He put down his senko rod and cast his drop-shot out into open water. He asked me if the troller speed was good and kept me a half a cast length from the reeds. It took a couple dozen casts, but I got a solid hookset in a cutie-pie to break out of my funk. I told Todd I was good, that he could resume senko fishing, but he insisted that I could do better. He would stay with drop-shot.

We came up on some grass clumps that were viable drop-shot targets. Todd cast the drop-shot roboworm to the outside and I cast a TR Magnum Finesse to the inside. Once again, Todd‘s drag was burning and he shouted my name. I looked up and saw his rod tip pop up as a hydrilla gorilla snapped his line. My line started swimming and I finally caught up to and stuck a nice football fish.

Thanks to Todd my mojo is fully restored. I fished with confidence now, boating another nice TR fish and hooking a hard-pulling drop-shot roboworm fish. My left thumb had achieved bass raspiness. I thanked Todd for his charity and went as far as to commend him as noble. It was high noon and we decided to go for a boat ride. Todd‘s lower unit is nearly broken in. He’s been operating at part throttle for the last couple months, easing load onto the fresh gear set. I know he’s been chomping at the bit and today he freed the ponies. We came around the peninsula into the smooth water of the western arm and he pinned the throttle WFO. It felt good to let the wind blow our hair back. Some people somewhere may have a better life, but I don’t see how. I caught eight, the biggest going two-and-a-half. Todd caught twelve including a five-pounder and a three-and-a-half pounder. Off at 1:30PM.
Sky Water Smile Cloud Fisherman
Hand Jaw Gesture Finger Thumb
Water Sky Smile Cloud Boat
1 - 2 of 2 Posts