Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We hit the water at 7am fished until 10:30. Caught a dozen LMBs, 5 whites, 1 drum, and 3 Hybrids. Trolling crank spoon combos. Water temp. 94. For over 2 hours the fish were chasing the shad to the top all around us. Was pretty exciting seeing all the action. The LMBs are schooling as we had a 3LB on the crank and a 1lb LB on the spoon on the same catch. The Hybrids this year have been very sporadic and I have not got into big schools. The size has been there. The biggest hybrid went 24.5 inches and about 6LBs. The lake record for Hybrid on TPWD is 25 inches and 8.58lbs that must have been a fat fish. This is my PB Hybrid.

Same Fish

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Nice! I am going out this week sometime!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
We were out there too yesterday. I remember seeing you launch. I was in the blue tracker. We had similar results using the same method except we caught mostly under hybrids with the biggest going just under 19". We also caught a bunch of largemouth. This was the first trip to Decker in a while where I didn't limit out on hybrids. Very nice wiper by the way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yes it has been different this year from last year. Last year it seemed like we would always catch a ton of whites. This year the whites have been hit or miss and same with the hybrids. I also had 2 trips in a row where we caught 3-5 catfish trolling crank/spoons and I didnt catch one catfish last year doing this. Wierd or I'm not fishing the right spots.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks. Yes it has been different this year from last year. Last year it seemed like we would always catch a ton of whites. This year the whites have been hit or miss and same with the hybrids. I also had 2 trips in a row where we caught 3-5 catfish trolling crank/spoons and I didnt catch one catfish last year doing this. Wierd or I'm not fishing the right spots.
I believe that once the cats move in the hybrid fishing is over in that area and I move on looking for the school again. This year has been really good for me. Haven't caught this many or seen this size since 2008. I keep waiting for it to shut down from the summer heat but this weekend is going to be cooler so it might be good again.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I believe that once the cats move in the hybrid fishing is over in that area and I move on looking for the school again. This year has been really good for me. Haven't caught this many or seen this size since 2008. I keep waiting for it to shut down from the summer heat but this weekend is going to be cooler so it might be good again.

Yeah thats my experience as well most the time. You can sometimes reel your baits up a little higher and that will keep the cats away.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's about as large a hybrid as I've seen from Decker. Nice fish. Gotta agree with Paint Bass that it's been sporadic this year but I've still had some decent days. What's surprised me is the number of LMB I've caught trolling. Hopefully I'll be getting my new rod holders by the end of the week and will mount them this weekend.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Just bout anywhere. Look for structure.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Very nice fish, thanks for the report!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have caught 25inch hybrids on Decker, just never weighed them. I use to catch them in the discharge, when they were generating. But have not seen strong generation in the last few years. I have caught most on fluke jr's in white ice, fishing discharge.

Troll on the East side of lake, under power lines, along shoreline, with medium diving crankbaits (Firetiger). I know that the HELLBENDER/PET SPOON combo has worked for some, in deeper water.

Robert

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe that the Decker lake record can be had, if that fish had more of the hybrid shape(more belly), you might of had it. It is a very nice hybrid, keep going for the lake record gold, I will be.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I believe that the Decker lake record can be had, if that fish had more of the hybrid shape(more belly), you might of had it. It is a very nice hybrid, keep going for the lake record gold, I will be.
I agree. I've caught several up to 26" that went 7#. I know someone that has a 27" Wiper from Decker that he mounted from a few years back. I believe it was just under 8#. All those 24" wipers in there right now could be close this winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts