Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Decker up in the A.M. the gate didn't get opened until 7 am. Caught 2 whites, 2 Hybrids and 5 LMBs. All trolling a deep diving crank bait with a pet spoon trailing. The bass where schooling I got 2 LMBS on one rod one on the crank bait and one on the spoon. I also had one almost rip out all the line on my rod before breaking me off. It was pulling out line and almost took it all off of my spool so I had to stop it with my hand and it broke off. I was using 12lb Berkly big game. Took the crank and spoon. All of the fish where caught in 25-35 fow. The bite shut off around 10 a.m. Largest LMB was 18 inches and largest Hybrid 22 inches and about 4lbs. All were released. I normally post pics but my phone got wet fishing friday night lol.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Thanks for the report.  Sounds like you lost a beast on that break off.  Big game 12lb is fine if you have an infinite spool of it (like 300 yds or more) and if you're drag is set right.  But there are some big hybrids, lmb, and cats out there that will spool you when trolling if you're not prepared for them.  Bet your blood pressure went up a tad as that beast pulled!  Keep the reports coming!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Makes you wonder the size of the one that got away. I had a 10 minute fight with a striper at Decker once, and it finally got annoyed with me and just took my lure. I had 16lb. fireline crystal with a real good knot, but it had the size. Makes you wonder the size of some of the bigger ones in Decker. I have lost 3 real big ones, and I only saw one come to the surface. I figured he was 10+ based on ones I have caught at Buchanon. Nicely Done on your catch.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
7052584E62695C4B584F533D0 said:
Makes you wonder the size of the one that got away. I had a 10 minute fight with a striper at Decker once, and it finally got annoyed with me and just took my lure. I had 16lb. fireline crystal with a real good knot, but it had the size. Makes you wonder the size of some of the bigger ones in Decker. I have lost 3 real big ones, and I only saw one come to the surface. I figured he was 10+ based on ones I have caught at Buchanon. Nicely Done on your catch.
FYI Moe, Decker has never had any Stripers stocked in the lake. Thanks for the report Paint.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to be looking into a new reel with a bigger spool. I don't really want to go too a higher lb test. The green big game has been great out there. I always stop the boat when I get a hit, but it just didn't stop wish I wasn't alone so I could of had my partner reverse the boat lol. I have my drag set pretty loose so I don't loose them on the initial hit, but it all happened so fast barely had time to react, but makes me want to get back out there and find the monster!!! That is what is great about the one that got a way......

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You had betetr luck than I did. I was out there for a bit on sunday morning but got skunked. Had one fish that felt decent sized while trolling about 10-12 feet but it got off just a few seconds after i set the hook. And that was pretty much all the action I had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.